-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-22-2007, 12:44 AM
Whitty132 Whitty132 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
M62 V8 E36 M3

Hi,I'm planning my project car.I'm wondering if anyone has fitted the M62 BMW V8 into an E36 M3.One local BMW tuning specialist told me I would have trouble with the engine sump .He said it would have to be modifie or alternatively source a special sump from europe .Cost $5000 Australian!Thanks for any help or info concerning this...........Richard
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2007, 12:39 PM
mike@af's Avatar
mike@af mike@af is offline
Captain Over Engineer
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,711
Thanks: 27
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: M62 V8 E36 M3

There have been people that have crammed M70's and S70's into E36's before. Theres also a lot of cutting and welding involved in that swap. The M62 is by no means a direct swap for an E36. Theres most likely going to be a need for reworking the firewall and trans tunnel. You also need to check how the engine hangs to check height clearences.

Though, the M62 only puts out like 235HP, why not just do an S52 OBD I swap?

EDIT: Now that I'm out of class I can finish my post, and I just realized you have an M3. Is it an S50 or S52?

Assuming you're using the M62B35 the power out put is about 230-240HP with about 230lb/ft of torque. The S50B30 puts out 286hp and 258lb/ft of torque; or if you have an S52B32, puts out 321 HP and 236lb/ft of torque. So that seems like a down grade in power if you ask me. Plus the S50 weighs about 140kg, and the M62B35 weighs about 220kg. So not only do you have an engine thats 80kg heavier it has less torque and horsepower.

If you're determined to do a swap, I'd do an S54B32 swap. S54 puts out 333hp and 266lb/ft. However, theres probably going to be a great bit of difficulty in finding an S54. A Euro S50B32 would be cool if you dont already have individual throttle bodies, but its still not a super huge gain.

I'd stick with what you got.
__________________
-Mike
AF Director of Media / Photographer

[email protected] | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery

Last edited by mike@af; 02-22-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts