-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Engine and Transmission
Register FAQ Community
Engine and Transmission Discuss Engine, Transmission, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Salemetro Salemetro is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1996 3.8 Stainless Valves

I've contacted both Ferrea and Manley looking for a set of low-cut stock-size stainless valves for my turbo 3.8 project. The heads are out being prepped for porting, and I need to source the valves pretty soon. Does anyone here have any idea who makes these "Readily available"??

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Savage Messiah's Avatar
Savage Messiah Savage Messiah is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,690
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Savage Messiah Send a message via Yahoo to Savage Messiah
Re: 1996 3.8 Stainless Valves

Who is porting your heads? Is it a major company, loca shop, or local shadetree? Will you need stock sizing or bigger valves?
__________________
97 Camaro - 2.077 60', 14.745 @ 92.20 - still down, one year later.

194k miles-160* thermo-V8 shocks/springs (V6 rear springs)-3" Magnaflow !cat (3" dynomax bullet) back-SLP CAI-stock boxed LCAs-poly tranny mount and torque arm bushing-custom HPTuners tuning-4.10s/eaton/TA girdle-3.5" alum DS-spohn LCA brackets-prostar skinnies

179.75 RWHP, 204.52 RWTQ

ON ITS WAY: MORE

R.I.P. Andy

87 Benz 190e - DD

01 EX250 - still gotta get my license for this thing
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Salemetro Salemetro is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1996 3.8 Stainless Valves

As far as what size I need, I'm open to suggestions. Using a Chevy Vortec 350 head as an example, these heads tend to flow best with a 2.00 intake and 1.57 exhaust ( if I remember correctly). Anything larger with them is just a waste, and actually hurts flow.

Being that this is my first build on a 3.8 series II, I am in relatively "New" territory. A local shop with an excellent reputation is doing the work, albeit without the use of a flow bench. I had a shop of my own for a few years, and do not take lightly letting someone else work on my vehicles in any way....so, it's safe to say that the shop doing the work has definitely EARNED my trust. Even so, I want to do as much research on my own as possible to make sure that this project turns out exactly the way that I want it to. So, all the above being said, I am open to suggestions...especially from those that have actually had port/valve work done to thier own 3.8 powered birds.

I do not plan to modify the bottom end in any fashion, other than possibly o-ring the block/heads and find a different cam. I have not played with Desktop Dyno yet to help determine a cam profile. Hope this all helps, so bring on the suggestions!

Thanks in advance to all that have constructive input.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-08-2007, 12:35 PM
MrPbody MrPbody is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,549
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Re: 1996 3.8 Stainless Valves

SI Valves, Simi Valley, California (800) 343-4287, has them in standard length, with head diameters of 1.800, 1.840, 1.900 and 1.940" for the intakes, and 1.520 or 1.600" for exhaust. Stainless, 1-piece, swirl-polished. Good stuff, reasonable price.

The reason the "Vortec" heads stop flowing well with a larger valve has nothing to do with the heads. It's the diameter of the bore. Those heads work GREAT with 2.055 valves on a 400 block (1/8" larger bore).

I didn't see where you were planning a blower. If not, there's no reason to "O-ring" the block. Even with a 200-hit, good quality gaskets will hold. Use ARP bolts, if you can get them. If not, piece together from their (ARP) inventory, a set of studs.

Whether or not you trust this shop is not relevant to porting. Be certain they have a good port guy (or gal), that STUDIES, and doesn't just make 'em all look like Chevys. We run into this occasionally. The 3800 heads aren't very similar in design to the Chevy, so the roof, short turn and transition may need attention in different areas. I don't have a head here right now to study, so I can't be more specific.

Based on the bore size, if you're NOT supercharging, I would recommend no more than the 1.840" intake valve. Use the smaller exhaust valve. The bigger ones are for heads with massive port work, a larger bore and a blower (either mechanical or turbo).

Good engines, these 3800s....

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Salemetro Salemetro is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1996 3.8 Stainless Valves

Many thanks for the information. I'll be calling them soon.
As far as force-fed.... yes, I plan on seeing how much boost I can get away with using just the stock internals in the bottom end. It should be fun.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Savage Messiah's Avatar
Savage Messiah Savage Messiah is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,690
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Savage Messiah Send a message via Yahoo to Savage Messiah
Re: 1996 3.8 Stainless Valves

Good, experianced guy to talk to about this is Lance Abbott... www.abbottracingheads.com

The other company with lots of experience with these engines is ZZP. In your research you may also come across Intense Racing, I'd stay away from them. Very bad rep in terms of both customer service and quality.
__________________
97 Camaro - 2.077 60', 14.745 @ 92.20 - still down, one year later.

194k miles-160* thermo-V8 shocks/springs (V6 rear springs)-3" Magnaflow !cat (3" dynomax bullet) back-SLP CAI-stock boxed LCAs-poly tranny mount and torque arm bushing-custom HPTuners tuning-4.10s/eaton/TA girdle-3.5" alum DS-spohn LCA brackets-prostar skinnies

179.75 RWHP, 204.52 RWTQ

ON ITS WAY: MORE

R.I.P. Andy

87 Benz 190e - DD

01 EX250 - still gotta get my license for this thing
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Salemetro Salemetro is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1996 3.8 Stainless Valves

Just a note of thanks to MrPbody.

Thanks for the contact info! I can't believe what a great deal these guys at SI were able to do for me. I ended up paying $10.50 each for the valves. Definitely a "reasonable price"

The heads should be back by the end of this month, then on to the rest of the conversion. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Engine and Transmission


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts