-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-29-2006, 08:14 PM
tfcass tfcass is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4.0 noise

Very new (tonight) to this, but I recently purchased a 2001 60th anniv. Cherokee. Love it so far. My question; with 83K, on 3-4 start ups, I hear or sense what I think is a noise indicating that oil may not be getting to the top of the engine...sort of a rattling. The it disappears. Oil levels are fine. Ideas???
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-29-2006, 09:21 PM
thinmints thinmints is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 274
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 4.0 noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfcass
Very new (tonight) to this, but I recently purchased a 2001 60th anniv. Cherokee. Love it so far. My question; with 83K, on 3-4 start ups, I hear or sense what I think is a noise indicating that oil may not be getting to the top of the engine...sort of a rattling. The it disappears. Oil levels are fine. Ideas???

This is Normal for the 4.0, my 96 has over 180k and it does the same thing, kinda sounds like a diesel at first but goes away after a few im not sure why Jeep made it that way but it seems not to hurt it any, i expect another 200k out of my 4.0 its the 1 thing chyrsler did right
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-30-2006, 11:24 AM
tfcass tfcass is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 4.0 noise

Thanks for the response...Now I won't hear it for a month and it will probably startle me again!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-30-2006, 07:11 PM
fredjacksonsan's Avatar
fredjacksonsan fredjacksonsan is offline
Caution: Monkeys bite!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,143
Thanks: 15
Thanked 75 Times in 70 Posts
Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: 4.0 noise

My 2000 "diesels" a bit on cold mornings, but it goes away after a couple minutes. I use synthetic oil so don't think it's an oil pumping problem. Nature of the beast.
__________________
Ours: 2020 Jeep Wrangler 2.0, 53k
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 84k
Kids: 2005 Honda CRV, 228k
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts