-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-18-2006, 01:10 PM
VGIZZO VGIZZO is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
96 Taurus GL - Electrical problem

I was driving my car the other day and all of a sudden the speedometer stopped working and the wipers died. Also the high beams were flickering off and on as well as the high beam inidicator on the gauge cluster. When the car is on accessories the wipers will work.. but not when the car is running.

The radio stopped wotking and the cruise control. I check all the fuses and they seem fine.... I know I probably have a short somewhere.. but I have no idea where? Any ideas?

I forgot to mention that there was a huge storm the night before and I may have run through a large puddle. Also, the cars still runs except for the problems mentioned above.

-Vincent Gizzo
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-19-2006, 07:19 PM
mustangmike351c mustangmike351c is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 96 Taurus GL - Electrical problem

check the ignition switch
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-20-2006, 07:09 PM
VGIZZO VGIZZO is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 96 Taurus GL - Electrical problem

Hi. Thnks for the reply. Is there a way to test the ignition switch? It seems to be working ok as far switching from accessories to RUN. I just spent $40+ on a Transmission Range sensor that I thought might be causing the problem.... but it did not fix the problem.

-VGIZZO
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-20-2006, 09:42 PM
shorod's Avatar
shorod shorod is offline
SHO No Mo
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11,008
Thanks: 106
Thanked 359 Times in 350 Posts
Re: 96 Taurus GL - Electrical problem

The procedure should be in your inbox.

-Rod
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-2006, 12:58 AM
VGIZZO VGIZZO is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: 96 Taurus GL - Electrical problem

Thanks for the PDF. I'm going to try and troubleshoot it tomorrow when I get home from work. I'm guessing the terminals they show are on the connecter. If it is where does it plug into? The fuse junction box on the driver's side?

-VGIZZO
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-23-2006, 10:23 PM
bubbabooboo bubbabooboo is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 96 Taurus GL - Electrical problem

Could it be a bad or weak relay?? Just a thought.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-24-2006, 05:32 AM
VGIZZO VGIZZO is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 96 Taurus GL - Electrical problem

Hi. The problem turned out to be a yellow wire behind the wheel well. I found some info about it from a old post on a ford forum. The plastic shielding(guides wire harness through firewall to engine compartment) cut the wire and it just corroded. I fixed the wire and everything works fine now.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-24-2006, 09:03 AM
shorod's Avatar
shorod shorod is offline
SHO No Mo
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11,008
Thanks: 106
Thanked 359 Times in 350 Posts
Re: 96 Taurus GL - Electrical problem

Great information, thank your for the follow-up!

-Rod
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts