-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Jaymes's Avatar
Jaymes Jaymes is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,223
Thanks: 2
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
testing out a headunit

Hey guys, I just got a new JVC headunit and want to test it out before the return date so I don't get screwed. Can I just hook it up to my stock speakers in the car, or do I have a chance of frying the headunit? I am dirt poor and I really cannot screw this up. Thanks. By the way one of the speakers is blown...will that mess up the headunit at all?

Last edited by PaulD; 11-28-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-28-2006, 03:19 PM
PaulD PaulD is offline
Audio Guy
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,701
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: testing out a headunit

yea, I am not rich either. If the speaker is blown with a short, maybe ..... if it's blown with an open, no
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Jaymes's Avatar
Jaymes Jaymes is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,223
Thanks: 2
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Re: testing out a headunit

anyone know where or how I can test it out? What are the chances of damaging the headunit if I were to install new speakers?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 PM
l_eclipse_l's Avatar
l_eclipse_l l_eclipse_l is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,772
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: testing out a headunit

I don't think a blown speaker will do anything. You can't just wire it up and see if it works? I don't understand what you mean by "testing". Just hook it up, see that everything works, and then put your stock back in if you want.
__________________
'92 3000gt SL

Zoom Stage 1 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjewer1
I disagree. Better is better. Bigger is just bigger.

I just made that up, and I like it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2006, 11:47 AM
bjboertje's Avatar
bjboertje bjboertje is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 589
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: testing out a headunit

if you can unhook the blown speaker there would be little chance of damaging the hu. i just wouldn't crank it too high running stock speaks, or you may blow them too.
__________________
2001 Ford ZX-2
Alpine CDA-9855
SAX 100.4
Rainbow CMX 265 front stage
Stock 5X7 rear fill
Hifonics BX1505D
TC-5200
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-01-2006, 04:46 PM
92-silverado7.4's Avatar
92-silverado7.4 92-silverado7.4 is offline
ToeKnee
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: testing out a headunit

dude, to try it out, just connect it directly to the battery, connect the (battery 12+ constant cable) and the (acc cable) to the + post of the battery and the (black ground wire) to the - post of the battery
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-03-2006, 01:23 PM
bjboertje's Avatar
bjboertje bjboertje is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 589
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: testing out a headunit

then you would need to attach a speaker to each output to test the internal amp. you might want to test the rca preamps too.
__________________
2001 Ford ZX-2
Alpine CDA-9855
SAX 100.4
Rainbow CMX 265 front stage
Stock 5X7 rear fill
Hifonics BX1505D
TC-5200
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Car Audio


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts