-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada
Register FAQ Community
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 PM
daddy0_4 daddy0_4 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bogus labor charges????

I got to go to Cincy to see our sons this past Saturday and saw the bill from Pep Boys for replacing the alt. 93 Bravada 4.3 a/c,p/s. $19.99 to check alt/starter, $52.50 to replace alt. add $7.50 for a/c and $7.50 for p/s, $9.00 shop supplies and $89.00 for alt. w/3yr warr. My beef is the 7.50 x 2 for a/c,p/s. The alt is on top of the motor, don't have to touch either one. Their excuse is because the serp. belt goes around them. I know it's not a lot of money considering the total cost but how many other jobs and for how much are they billing these type of bogus charges. They must be making a fortune. Any input ???? And by the way we replaced the starter w/ a new one for $110.00, took us about 1 hour laying on our backs.
  #2  
Old 11-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Chris Stewart's Avatar
Chris Stewart Chris Stewart is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,920
Thanks: 113
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Re: bogus labor charges????

I agree Daddyo, they padded the bill but with a new starter, battery and alternator, the boys should be ok for a while. What they could do is get with the local better business folks and find a reasonable, fair shop before something else lets go.
  #3  
Old 11-10-2006, 03:22 PM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Lightbulb Re: bogus labor charges????

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy0_4
I got to go to Cincy to see our sons this past Saturday and saw the bill from Pep Boys for replacing the alt. 93 Bravada 4.3 a/c,p/s. $19.99 to check alt/starter, $52.50 to replace alt. add $7.50 for a/c and $7.50 for p/s, $9.00 shop supplies and $89.00 for alt. w/3yr warr. My beef is the 7.50 x 2 for a/c,p/s. The alt is on top of the motor, don't have to touch either one. Their excuse is because the serp. belt goes around them. I know it's not a lot of money considering the total cost but how many other jobs and for how much are they billing these type of bogus charges. They must be making a fortune. Any input ???? And by the way we replaced the starter w/ a new one for $110.00, took us about 1 hour laying on our backs.
This wouldn't work in NYS, ask them to what flat rate guide they base there add on labor operations from.
__________________
  #4  
Old 11-10-2006, 07:41 PM
daddy0_4 daddy0_4 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: bogus labor charges????

I forgot to mention, the alt they put on started growling the day before I got there. The first one they put on had a 3 yr war. the replacement had to come from a parts house because the only one they had they stripped out the adj. hole while trying to install it. The new one came with a lifetime war. They said their times come out of Mitchells manual.
  #5  
Old 11-11-2006, 07:25 AM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: bogus labor charges????

Ask to see them, it could be right.
__________________
  #6  
Old 11-11-2006, 07:53 AM
daddy0_4 daddy0_4 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: bogus labor charges????

I'm back in Fla now so that would be a little difficult to do and I doubt they will refund any $$$. I guees I'm just concerned about people/businesses doing the RIGHT thing. I was a NIASE certified mechanic in the early 80's and the garages I worked in used Motors Manuals flat rate books (I think) but I vaugly (?) remember the add on's as being "if applicable" and in this case I don't think they are. Sorry to rant , It's just hard to find a place to get repairs done where you can trust them to do what's right.
  #7  
Old 11-11-2006, 04:59 PM
ericn1300's Avatar
ericn1300 ericn1300 is offline
AF Premium User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,068
Thanks: 7
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Re: bogus labor charges????

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy0_4
Sorry to rant , It's just hard to find a place to get repairs done where you can trust them to do what's right.
cartalk.com has an area where you can find listener recommended mechanics and shops.

link here: http://cartalk.com/content/mechx/
  #8  
Old 11-11-2006, 07:07 PM
daddy0_4 daddy0_4 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: bogus labor charges????

I had them go to Pep Boys Thinking since their a national chain? they would be resonable also PB is close to where they live and work. I just need to stop ranting and fogetaboutit. Thanks everyone for your input.
  #9  
Old 05-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Specdpt Specdpt is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: bogus labor charges????

I work at a leasing and fleet maintenance company. The Pep Boys is probably right. When you look it up you start with the alt, then add time for the extra options (i.e. a/c p/s). I see it every day
  #10  
Old 06-01-2007, 11:23 AM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: bogus labor charges????

This thread is way too old please check the dates before responding, thanks.
__________________
 
Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts