-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Cadillac > Deville
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-06-2006, 05:45 AM
Freak Accident Freak Accident is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation 87 deville. Stumped on a brake problem.

I have a 87 deville with front wheel drive.
My breaks are really squishy. Sometimes when I press all the way down they have a weird feeling. A little like an ABS vibration but I don't think thats what it is.
I have no leaking break fluid. I have bled all the lines all the way through. All the breaks look fine. Is there something in the master cylander I have to bleed?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-2006, 04:13 PM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: 87 deville. Stumped on a brake problem.

Welcome to AF. Was any work done that created this problem? Your description is vague so it is difficult to make a meaningful suggestion here, does the dash brake lite come on, does the car have reasonable stopping power? "Weird feeling "is tough to picture what you mean!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Freak Accident Freak Accident is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 87 deville. Stumped on a brake problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge
Welcome to AF. Was any work done that created this problem? Your description is vague so it is difficult to make a meaningful suggestion here, does the dash brake lite come on, does the car have reasonable stopping power? "Weird feeling "is tough to picture what you mean!
So very sorry.
I have a very hard time stopping. They are very squishy. Brake light and the ABS lights are on.
It had a slow break fluid leak. It got so empty that I had to bleed the whole system. Then strange as it seems the leaked stopped. But unfortunately the stopping power is gone too.
So I have bled the whole system and checked the pads, shoes, drums, rotors, calipers and rear cylanders. They all seem fine.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2006, 05:09 PM
caddydaddy caddydaddy is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 673
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 87 deville. Stumped on a brake problem.

How did you bleed it? Manually or with a power bleeder? It sounds like you still have some air somewhere in the lines.
__________________
2000 Cadillac STS
2005 Cadillac Escalade
2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 ABS
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Freak Accident Freak Accident is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 87 deville. Stumped on a brake problem.

I bled them with a power bleeder. I bled about a half cup to a cup out of each line starting with the brake furthest from the master cylander and working my way in. There was no change.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Freak Accident Freak Accident is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 87 deville. Stumped on a brake problem.

I am bumping this thread because I still have no idea what the problem may be. Please give me a hand.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-09-2006, 08:56 AM
DFBonnett DFBonnett is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 858
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 87 deville. Stumped on a brake problem.

Consider the possibility of a bad master cylinder and that you may only be getting fluid pressure to the fronts or the rears. You mentioned a leak. Did you determine the source at any point? Was it visible? If not that leads us back to the master cylinder.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Freak Accident Freak Accident is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 87 deville. Stumped on a brake problem.

I was really hoping someone wouldn't say that. I never found the location of the leak for sure and now it is gone like I said. The Master cylinder on this thing is called a power cylinder, I believe. I think it costs as about as much as a transmission also. So fixing it was my hope if that was the case. It is the size of a small transmission. I seems to have some kind of a ball that I think may be a reservoir. Kind of like radiator heat for your home functions. So I was thinking that maybe I needed to bleed that in some kind of a fashion. Here is a picture of the master cylander.







Looks like the leak is back. It is very slow and I have not found the source. No breakfluid on the firewall behind the master cylander. Please. Does anyone know about these monsters?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-09-2006, 05:01 PM
DFBonnett DFBonnett is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 858
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 87 deville. Stumped on a brake problem.

If you can't locate a visible leak the MC may be leaking into the booster and the fluid sucked into the engine and burned.
You might try a Caddy recycler like www.cadauto.com or investigate whether a rebuilding kit is available for it. Unless the cylinder is pitted, new seals might fix you up.
FWIW
YMMV
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-09-2006, 06:33 PM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: 87 deville. Stumped on a brake problem.

That " ball " is the accumulator for the abs, this is a unitized system and there are really no field repairs done. As mentioned try to make sure there is no line in the under chassis leaking or some other hidden area not discovered
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-21-2006, 11:32 AM
HAWG HAWG is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 184
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 87 deville. Stumped on a brake problem.

My 90 developed a leak in the line running in front of the fuel tank. Needed four eyes to find it, as the fluid would spray on the tank.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Cadillac > Deville


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts