-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-30-2006, 11:55 AM
mazingo mazingo is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help again

You know it is nice to know when you have an automobile problem or question that you can turn to AF and pretty much find an answer. But the search feature kinda sucks. But better than none at all.

I have a new problem, My coolant temp. guage has quit working. It has done this before and it always starts back working the next day, I hope it starts back today. What happens is the guage drops to zero and both cooling fans come on. The car rund fine and doesn't over heat. I have change the ECT sensor already so its new.

This time the check engine light came on the temp guage is not working and both fans are on. I am going to advanced to get the codes pulled today, but like I said earlier the car runs fine, all the fluids are good, and the tranny shifts fine. I hope it is something stupid like the gas cap ( I already checked it, it's tight).
More later.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-30-2006, 07:39 PM
wymi wymi is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need help again

Don't the fans come on right away if you pull the plug off the ect? Maybe just a bad connection to the ect. I had a bad harness on my iat sensor and just changed the sensor, turns out it was the wire and plug going to the sensor and not the sensor itself.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-31-2006, 11:11 AM
mazingo mazingo is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need help again

Thanks for the information, I will have to check the wire.
I went to Advance auto parts yesterday and the manager let me use their scan tool ( I used to work with her ) and I pulled the codes one was for the TPS (probably caused the check engine light) the other said the engine coolant temperature, it was below thermostat operating temperature.
I figure the TPS is about due for a change, but the other could be a loose wire or bad connection.
I will try to check it out an post the results.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2006, 11:42 AM
mazingo mazingo is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need help again

I believe the problem with the Throttle Position sensor is the SENSOR. But it is not a drivability issue, YET. And ECT is probably the wire as you suggested I will try to check it tonight at work. As far as the guage goes, if it doesnt start working I will have to replace the whole cluster, or just buy a mechanical guage and put it on the A-pillar. Either way it is not anything serious but I dont like riding blind ( temperature wise ). I am hoping that the guage and the ECT problem are linked together.

Thanks again for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2006, 10:12 AM
alblogg's Avatar
alblogg alblogg is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need help again

Did you change the sensor for the fan or the one for the gauge?
__________________




'99 Blazer LT Loaded, K&N Filter, Pioneer Super
Tuner,Viper
'98 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, 3.8
'88 K1500 Cheyenne, 5.0, stock, bought new
'86 Nissan 720 Trash Truck
'69 C/10 step side, 307, all original, second owner, in process of restore.



The person who says it cannot be done should not interrurt the person doing it.
Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

Allen- Paintman
Wrenchtwister
Broompusher
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-09-2006, 02:08 AM
mazingo mazingo is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need help again

Quote:
Originally Posted by alblogg
Did you change the sensor for the fan or the one for the gauge?
I was not aware the malibu 3100 had more than one ECT on it. I thought the ECT sensor below the thermostat did both? If there is another , where is it?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-10-2006, 10:53 AM
alblogg's Avatar
alblogg alblogg is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need help again

I not sure either about a Malibu I was thing of some other cars I have dealt with. What I don't understand if the gauge is at 0 the code reader said coolant was below operating temp why was both cooling fans coming on if every thing was showing cold and not hot.
__________________




'99 Blazer LT Loaded, K&N Filter, Pioneer Super
Tuner,Viper
'98 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, 3.8
'88 K1500 Cheyenne, 5.0, stock, bought new
'86 Nissan 720 Trash Truck
'69 C/10 step side, 307, all original, second owner, in process of restore.



The person who says it cannot be done should not interrurt the person doing it.
Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

Allen- Paintman
Wrenchtwister
Broompusher
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts