-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-16-2006, 02:45 AM
Josh Smith's Avatar
Josh Smith Josh Smith is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Josh Smith
1993 Bravada Compass and Temp Display - Help Needed

Hello All,

I have a 1993 Bravada I'm in the process of restoring.

Though it has about 180,000 miles on it the engine uses about 1/2 quart between oil changes and has the compression and look of a new engine. It is the original; I'm not sure how it's managed. Guess it's been pooched.

I'm the second owner.

Anyway... it's mainly the body that needs work. I'll need to replace the front fenders and do come creative sanding and painting.

However, the interior is imacculate. Leather, all power, you know, the works.

The one thing that's really bugged me is the compass/temp display. It's never worked since I've owned it and I pretty much forgot about it... that is, until last night when I went on a bread and milk run. Upon initial startup, the display lit and for five minutes worked perfectly. I do not know if it lit before or after I turned on the headlights, but I played with the dimmer and it winked back out.

Now I'm bothered again. I KNOW it works. I just do not know why. I cannot find a wiring diagram for the thing. Does it get its power exclusively from the dimmer switch? That could explain why it winked back out.

I had resigned myself to replacing it, but it looks like it may not be in the unit itself and I don't want to waste money replacing a perfectly good display.

What would keep it from lighting, or displaying at all? Does anyone have a diagram, or could you verbally give me a routing for all the wires going to the thing?

Thanks,

Josh <><
__________________
1993 Olds Bravada, tow package, power everything and leather seats. Currently in restoration. - RIP. Your engine and drive train were excellent, but in the end, too much rust.

2000 Blazer, loaded, looks showroom new, bought April 4th, 2009
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Chris Stewart's Avatar
Chris Stewart Chris Stewart is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,920
Thanks: 113
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Re: 1993 Bravada Compass and Temp Display - Help Needed

Hi Josh,
After doing a little checking it seems part of the display has power all the time, part has power only when the keyswitch is turned on and the lights are powered by the dimmer switch. There's a gray wire on the dimmer switch that lights up the display according to this thread:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...erhead+display
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-16-2006, 05:10 PM
ericn1300's Avatar
ericn1300 ericn1300 is offline
AF Premium User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,068
Thanks: 7
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Re: 1993 Bravada Compass and Temp Display - Help Needed

The LCD display has black segments that need back lighting for you to see them, you can try shining a flashlight into the display to see if its actualy displaying info. If it is and the backlight is out you might look for one from the auto recyclers. Is the '93 display in the rearview mirror like the "92?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Josh Smith's Avatar
Josh Smith Josh Smith is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Josh Smith
Re: 1993 Bravada Compass and Temp Display - Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericn1300
The LCD display has black segments that need back lighting for you to see them, you can try shining a flashlight into the display to see if its actualy displaying info. If it is and the backlight is out you might look for one from the auto recyclers. Is the '93 display in the rearview mirror like the "92?
Hello,

I did try that. It's a no-go. In fact, it seems to have picked up a faint glow when it's dark and the engine's on, like it's trying to backlight something.

It's not in the mirror; it's in the overhead console above the mirror. It's also not traditional LCD; it's more like a green readout on a VCR or one of the first calculators.

Thanks,

Josh <><
__________________
1993 Olds Bravada, tow package, power everything and leather seats. Currently in restoration. - RIP. Your engine and drive train were excellent, but in the end, too much rust.

2000 Blazer, loaded, looks showroom new, bought April 4th, 2009
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts