-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-01-2006, 12:59 PM
johnschmitt johnschmitt is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ABS Speed sensor harness

Hello all.

I've replaced both front hub/bearing assemblies and I'm still getting a left front wheel speed sensor code. (The bearings were bad anyway so it wasn't a waste) I've narrowed it down to an open circuit somewhere between that speed sensor and the control module, likely around where the wires bend when the wheel turns. Problem is the dealer doesn't sell the pigtail I can splice in there. Just the whole deal that goes to all 4 wheels for $170. And I'm not running all that cable for one wheel if I don't have to.

So my question is...

Is there a reason I couldn't splice a working junkyard part in there? I'm not sure how sensitive the system is since the dealer calls it a "non- servicable harness." It looks to me like it's just a pair of 16 gage wires that carries an ac current that varies based on what the speed sensor does. So if we have any techs lurking or if anybody knows anything it would be nice to have anti-lock brakes again.

Thanks a lot.

edit: sorry, for those of you who are wondering it's a 99 LS.

Last edited by johnschmitt; 09-01-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-01-2006, 07:23 PM
abaird abaird is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 456
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ABS Speed sensor harness

Here's what I did. Worked on a cavalier the other day that every time the steering wheel turned all the way to the right the ABS light would come on for that drive cycle. Took an ohm meter and watched resistance at the sensor as someone turned the wheel. Sure enough, the wire opened when turned all the way to the right. I was lucky because the wire was bad a couple inches from the sensor. I could splice in a new piece of wire with a new terminal end. But it had to be the same type of wire, so answering your question, yes you can use a known good used part to replace this but make sure it is the same. The wires need to be twisted the way they came form the factory.
__________________
2009 Silverado 1500
2002 Camaro Z28(rebuilder)
2005 Yamaha GP1300R
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-01-2006, 10:36 PM
johnschmitt johnschmitt is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ABS Speed sensor harness

Well that's good news. You described the problem exactly, except for the cavalier part of course. When splicing, end-to-end solder joints with shrink tubing or electrical tape is fine, yes?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-02-2006, 06:15 PM
abaird abaird is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 456
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ABS Speed sensor harness

That's what I did.
__________________
2009 Silverado 1500
2002 Camaro Z28(rebuilder)
2005 Yamaha GP1300R
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-09-2006, 01:46 PM
rhandwor rhandwor is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 64 Times in 64 Posts
Re: ABS Speed sensor harness

The big problems with repairing wiring is dirt and moisture. I would check with some junk yards I got one for a GMC pickup for a couple dollars. This is not a big seller. Check the plug and length probably the piece would from other GM vehicles would work.
I usuallly call 4 or 5 and check prices.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2006, 02:28 PM
sreve sreve is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 218
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ABS Speed sensor harness

they do sell a pig tail kit but you don't wan it. $135us likely the problem is where the lower control arm meets the frame. non-insulated crimp connectors and shrink tube will work. tape unlikely to seal out water over the long haul.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-11-2006, 09:49 AM
richtazz's Avatar
richtazz richtazz is offline
stupidity should hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,129
Thanks: 2
Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Re: ABS Speed sensor harness

The $135 part is the entire harness from the main vehicle harness to the wheel. The actual end that plugs into the hub connector is AC-Delco part number PT1357 (GM#15306302) and runs $24.60 dealer retail. The other end of the jumper harness where it hooks to the vehicle's main harness is not available separately.
__________________


Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-12-2006, 01:13 PM
johnschmitt johnschmitt is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ABS Speed sensor harness

Quote:
The $135 part is the entire harness from the main vehicle harness to the wheel. The actual end that plugs into the hub connector is AC-Delco part number PT1357 (GM#15306302) and runs $24.60 dealer retail. The other end of the jumper harness where it hooks to the vehicle's main harness is not available separately.

We have a winner. I saw this post pretty much around the time I got tired of calling salvage yards and discovering A. they don't know what I'm talking about, B. they don't have it, or C. I'm in parkville and they're on the exact opposite side of I-695.

There wasn't a whole lot of slack wire on there, but it got me to the inside end of the control arm which was enough apparently. No ABS light and the car doesn't think the left front wheel's locked up and bleed off all the pressure anymore. (it used to do that until it realized the wheel was actually turning and disabled the abs)

Thanks for the help, particularly the part number. The dealer guys aren't what I would call good at cross referencing common parts among common vehicles.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts