-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-30-2006, 02:34 PM
netjunkie2 netjunkie2 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question a/c only works on high - '98 intrigue

The fan will not come on unless it is on high and lately even that has been sounding scary. The air works fine on high but sometimes it is a little too much.
In Alabama in August, an a/c is very nice to have but a medium fan setting would be nice. Can anyone tell me what I need to do (and perhaps how, where and how much)?
I am assuming (uh oh) that it is a problem in the switch not the a/c.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-30-2006, 02:46 PM
busboy4 busboy4 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 717
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: a/c only works on high - '98 intrigue

Hi
I have not dealt with this problem on my intrigue ('99), but I have dealt with it on Ford vehicles. The problem most likely is the fan resistor. The fan only knows one speed: High. The lower fan speeds are achieved by a step down resistor to control the fan. I am attaching a link for the part. It is number 4 in the diagram. Unfortunately, it is pricey - I would assume it is this pricey because of the electonic climate control. Yours is electronic yes? For a similar Ford product we only paid $53. I would bet this is where your problem lies, but I would certainly get some other opinions before putting out this much cash.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=4&catalogid=2
Good Luck
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-30-2006, 05:18 PM
netjunkie2 netjunkie2 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Re: a/c only works on high - '98 intrigue

Wow!!! Holy $#!+

I didn't expect that much. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate your efforts. I think I'll wait for the thing to just die first. Normally I would just use the old 465 air conditioning but this thing only has 1 window that works... (another post, another time, I guess.)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2006, 05:40 PM
LittleHoov's Avatar
LittleHoov LittleHoov is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,144
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Send a message via AIM to LittleHoov
Re: a/c only works on high - '98 intrigue

youve probably got bad window regulators, do a search for regulator and you should find a thing or two, its a very common problem in all the W-body cars, supposedly a common one in the new G-bodies as well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2006, 09:00 PM
panzer dragoon panzer dragoon is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 731
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: a/c only works on high - '98 intrigue

2000 : OLDSMOBILE : INTRIGUE : 3.5L 214 cubic inch V6 FI (H) : Heat & Air Conditioning : Blower Motor Resistor

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # RU60
{BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR} More Info
$20.79 $0.00 $20.79

ACDELCO Part # 1580571
RESISTOR,BLO MOT w/A/C FRT ELEC CONT(C67) {#89018643}
$25.79 $0.00 $25.79
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-30-2006, 09:18 PM
busboy4 busboy4 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 717
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: a/c only works on high - '98 intrigue

Hey Panzer

looks like rock auto info? I forgot about them. Glad you did not. Netjunkie, you could pull your resistor, and compare it to the picture and/or illustration at Rockauto.com to see which is the one for your car. If you have the electronic control it is obviously the AC Delco one.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:00 PM
panzer dragoon panzer dragoon is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 731
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: a/c only works on high - '98 intrigue

my dad replaced his on his 1999 Intrigue and his 1993 GMC Surburban. Make sure your blower motor is not getting wet and corroded also = causing these resistors to overheat and burn out. You may want a new blower motor and fix the cause of your water/condensation problem.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts