-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Modelcrafters.GP Modelcrafters.GP is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WIP Rossi YZR-M1 2005 Laguna Seca

Hi guys,

I got my hands on a new WIP. This time, its the 2005 YZR-M1 ridden by Valentino Rossi at Laguna Seca. The kit is no.104 in Tamiya's lineup of motorcycle models. The decals that come shipped with the model is meant to replicate Colin Edwards' fine ride, however since I am a big Rossi nut, i'm out to do a livery with Rossi's numbers/design instead.

Although I have 2 Rossi's RC211Vs in WIP, I couldn't help but want to start building this kit right away for the IPMS Vancouver show in October, plus there are enough new parts in this kit to make it worthwhile.

I'm quite happy that Tamiya didn't just do a decal print change and slap it together for a quick sale. I realized that many changes were made to this kit to warrant practically a new product for Tamiya. Apparently, some of the brand new parts include the fairings (front/side/seat/tail), radiator, engine, frame, exhaust and some suspension bits. The wheels, dash console, exhaust cover, clip-ons, and swingarm remains the same.

For this kit, i'm going to be using the fork upgrade set, as I really like the gold anodized machined forks that I can never seem to get quite right when I normally airbrush gold paint. The set also comes with a yellow spring and an Ohlins steering damper. To get Rossi's decals done right, i'll be using the Crazy Modeler decals (thanks Laurel!).

If you are thinking about doing this kit yourself, my store still has three remaining on the shelf, plus the upgrades.

Now hopefully I can balance life/shop/wife to finish this kit before the IPMS show.

Here's the pics:





The next few pics will be the prepped up bodywork and exhaust. Stay tuned!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-16-2006, 02:39 PM
iceracer1's Avatar
iceracer1 iceracer1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 9
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Re: WIP Rossi YZR-M1 2005 Laguna Seca

WOW!!

I never knew there was a kit of this version! Is it one of the newest models from Tamiya or????

When I see this one here in my local hobbyshop I get em directly!

I'll follow this one GOOD LUCK!

Kris.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Ole_L Ole_L is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 260
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: WIP Rossi YZR-M1 2005 Laguna Seca

I just joined this site today - this is my first post actually. I'm about to start the very same kit, but I will be building the Colin Edwards version. Should be fun to build them side by side.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Modelcrafters.GP Modelcrafters.GP is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: WIP Rossi YZR-M1 2005 Laguna Seca

Hi Ole! Good luck on yours!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-17-2006, 01:38 AM
Roca46 Roca46 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 652
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: WIP Rossi YZR-M1 2005 Laguna Seca

Hey! Good luck in the progress!! I hope to see the body soon

Roca.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-17-2006, 01:48 AM
joelwideqvist joelwideqvist is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,047
Thanks: 66
Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
Re: WIP Rossi YZR-M1 2005 Laguna Seca

This is one great looking bike. I bet you'll do it justice Vincent!
/Joel
__________________
Visit my FB page www.facebook.com/one12th
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-2006, 01:37 AM
Modelcrafters.GP Modelcrafters.GP is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: WIP Rossi YZR-M1 2005 Laguna Seca

Hi guys,

Today was a pretty slow day in getting anything done on the kit.

I just managed to fill in the seams on the 4 part tail. I nearly messed up the entire tail because I was too enthusiastic on the glue near the seat area and when I tried sanding/filing, praying/cursing I thought that the tail was ruined. I tried using some rifling files and luckily I managed to make a recovery.

The exhaust was pretty sweet. I tried looking at my MotoGP Pitwalk 2004/5 books for the tip profile. Apparently, the Tamiya exhaust's tip/lip was a little too thick, so I carefully filed/sanded so the tip's lip is thinner.

The swingarm called for some mods, mostly for the bike stand support and wheel alignment/wheelbase adjustment screws. It was pretty easy but time consuming and took about an hour of careful chiseling, sanding, and cursing when the chisel missed and plunged into my index finger (had to break out the bandaid this time). I wasn't sure if the swingarm needed its seams filled, and my reference books couldn't show a good angle on its fabrication. I guess that since this a million dollar prototype, its probably carved from solid billet aluminum or some other pricey material and is just one piece...so I just filled the seams.

The fuel tank cover was a pretty simple affair. Just a little bit of careful glueing, waiting, sanding and primering to check for defects.

Overall, I was pretty happy today in my recovery of the tail, and hopefully tomorrow, after when the primer is fully dry, i can sand down the parts smooth and begin prep work on the other bits.

Here are the pics:







Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-18-2006, 02:24 AM
Roca46 Roca46 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 652
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: WIP Rossi YZR-M1 2005 Laguna Seca

Omg... what a soft pieces here... love the body..

Well keep it up!

Roca.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-18-2006, 03:15 AM
joelwideqvist joelwideqvist is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,047
Thanks: 66
Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
Re: WIP Rossi YZR-M1 2005 Laguna Seca

I agree, the tail of the later M1:s are so nice.
/Joel
__________________
Visit my FB page www.facebook.com/one12th
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Ole_L Ole_L is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 260
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: WIP Rossi YZR-M1 2005 Laguna Seca

Great progress... looking forward to seeing more.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-18-2006, 06:36 PM
91p10nizmo 91p10nizmo is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 780
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: WIP Rossi YZR-M1 2005 Laguna Seca

Looking good so far will be watching this one.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts