-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-18-2002, 04:03 AM
GTRRR GTRRR is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me....

I am just about to start an S13 Nissan Silvia model and I need some help with it.

1. Should I use Enamel or Acrylic paint for the painting of the head/tail lights? (I need to use clear colours)
2. Should I use Enamel or Acrylic paints for the interior? should I brush or spray it?
3. Should I use Enamel or Acrylic paint on small details such as exhaust and suspension and should I use a brush or can?

Please forgive me if these questions have already been answered in FAQ but I scrolled through all the topics and I am still confused
__________________
Got Boost?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-18-2002, 04:16 AM
GTRRR GTRRR is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also what type of paint do I use for the underneath of the car, Enamel, Automotive or Acrylic? Would I spray it on?
__________________
Got Boost?

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-18-2002, 04:37 AM
Purpura Delujo Purpura Delujo is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,361
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use enamel for all the above, all humbrol tinned paints, and i brush paint the undersdie and interior. If you do this use say a 5-6mm or bigger soft bristle brush, you can spray these parts if you aren't good at brush painting but its up to you. You may loose some minor details underneath or in the interior of the car if you spray it though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-18-2002, 06:11 AM
Bobj's Avatar
Bobj Bobj is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use tamiya arcrylics through airbrush for everthing just make sure you thin them with tamiya thinner, if i use a brush i thin them to as they go on easier. They are pretty cheap to buy here in aus and they clean up with warm soapy water or windex. Regards Bob.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-20-2002, 12:30 AM
str617 str617 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a believer in acrylics but because I have kids, they clean up a lot easier then the enamals. I usually spray everything that I can and come back and detail with a brush. If you your going to make this a ongoing hobby you might want to get an airbrush. I have found that it can save you money on paints because a little bit will go a long way. Also enamals require more thinner than the acrylics. Remember that enamals require enamal thinner and acrylics require acrylic thinner. As far as the head/tail lights go I use the Model Master Turn Signal Amber, and the Model Master Stop light red. Enamal Chrome works well for the headlights, and use some of it behind the tail lights, but not on the lenses. It will bring the colors out more. Good Luck and Enjoy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-20-2002, 12:58 AM
Ranger_X's Avatar
Ranger_X Ranger_X is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you need to buy acrylic thinner? I've always used plain water to thin it out and no problems for me.

Anyway, I'll usually spray the interior tub or undercarriage with a spray can (automotive, enamel or laquer) and detail with acrylic. Acrylic is perfect for engine bays/interior details because it's easy to fix a screw up, and it goes over any other type of paint nicely, plus its easy to clean out of brushes. All you have to do is keep a cup full of water, then put the brush in the water when you're done. You could do this with enamel, substituting the water for thinner, but thinner costs money, it's more volatile then water (it evaporates quicker) and it stinks. I also find that nothing matches acrylic when it comes to flat color, and it dries quick.
__________________
-Will-
96 M56 Volvo 855 Turbo
87 A555 Chrysler Daytona Shelby Z
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-20-2002, 01:05 AM
str617 str617 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why I don't use water

I used to use water and I would rather but the water out here is hard and I was spending to much money on CLR to clean the airbrush with the thinner I don't have to worry about my airbrush tips
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-20-2002, 01:57 AM
Honoturtle Honoturtle is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,790
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Honoturtle
Is it safe to put laquer (sp?) gloss on to enamel paint? I heard that laquer melts plastic, is this true?
__________________
AF MODELING FAQ

~ 1987 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe Sprinter ~
"Oh what a feeling.- Toyota
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-20-2002, 03:10 AM
Ranger_X's Avatar
Ranger_X Ranger_X is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Honoturtle
Is it safe to put laquer (sp?) gloss on to enamel paint? I heard that laquer melts plastic, is this true?
I said that in another thread. Actually, I should say I really don't know. In the FAQ it says enamel will not allow automotive paint over it. Many automotive paints are laquers, and clear coat is a laquer, so I don't know. Someone wanna test for us?
__________________
-Will-
96 M56 Volvo 855 Turbo
87 A555 Chrysler Daytona Shelby Z
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-20-2002, 03:26 AM
Honoturtle Honoturtle is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,790
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Honoturtle
Oh ok, I got a car show to enter by friday and need paint on the body of my car, I only got 4 days!!
__________________
AF MODELING FAQ

~ 1987 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe Sprinter ~
"Oh what a feeling.- Toyota
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-20-2002, 03:26 AM
primera man's Avatar
primera man primera man is offline
"P-Man"
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 15,179
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to primera man
Re: Help me....

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRRR
I am just about to start an S13 Nissan Silvia model and I need some help with it.

1. Should I use Enamel or Acrylic paint for the painting of the head/tail lights? (I need to use clear colours)
2. Should I use Enamel or Acrylic paints for the interior? should I brush or spray it?
3. Should I use Enamel or Acrylic paint on small details such as exhaust and suspension and should I use a brush or can?

Please forgive me if these questions have already been answered in FAQ but I scrolled through all the topics and I am still confused
1...The choice is really up to you
2...Spray as much as you can as the finish well be alot better. Brushing can leave brush marks if you take to long.
3...Once again its up to you.
Try and spray as much of the model as you can. I use enamals as i beleive the finish is alot better. It takes longer to dry which gives you a bit longer to brush paint things when you have to.
__________________

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-20-2002, 07:48 AM
tonioseven's Avatar
tonioseven tonioseven is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,565
Thanks: 363
Thanked 47 Times in 43 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven
Exclamation

DO NOT spray lacquer over enamel! Lacquer WILL eat through enamel! It IS okay to spray enamel over over lacquer. Trust me, I've learned th hard way! The one exception seems to be Tamiya; their paints have not given me any problems so far. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need help!! Cade.Garrett Car Buying Q&A 1 06-04-2009 07:07 PM
97 ram 1500 sport 4x4 tranny problems HELP ME! tabes Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10 3 03-14-2009 08:56 AM
help me please help me f22 swap jaysspeed Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid 1 07-14-2004 08:51 AM
help me help me help me please fuel pump help my90horsy Mustang Talk 16 12-05-2003 09:38 AM
Please Help Me Choose A Body Kit!! The Last Post Was Wrong Click This One And Help Me inhaledeep Integra 3 03-22-2003 02:28 AM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts