|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
New here but I figure you all might lend some help or advice.
After reading many posting here and else where about Trany problems with the Windstar I am trying to decide what to do next. I know the pre 99s had a defect in the internal shifting mechanism but I have not heard of a similar issue with the 99 and above. My windstar has had intermittent shifting problems from 1st to 2nd. It is a hard shift, some times so hard it throw you forward in the van. It almost seems like it goes into reverse for a split second before going into 2nd. I say that becuase as kid I did that one time while driving down the road, I pushed the floor shifter into reverse once, the car did not like it all. I noticed that the RPMs does not jump up or down when it happens, but once it does shift the RPMs do drop like they should. Anyway, this has happen since the day I bought the car new and took in for service many times up to the 36K warrantee ran out and they could never reproduce the problem. I am at 95K and it is still doing it and I have changed the fluids twice, and a complete flush and filter change this last time. I also read here where someone said they had a similar problem and it appear to happen more offend when makeing a hard turn to the right. I can say this definitely happens with my van. This problem happens if I am accelerating slow or fast and you never know when it will happen. Mostly recently, I have been noticing the traction control light coming on right after it happen. The van now thinking it is loosing traction. I am concern the trany will die at point in time which is not convient since we use the van to travel lots. Do you all think it is on its way out and if it is where is best to have it looked at. Also am I looking at full trany replacement or is there something that simply needs adjusted or replaced. TIA Last edited by 53 F100; 07-24-2006 at 07:10 AM. |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
There was a TSB for this situation calling for the ATF to be kept at the top of the hash on the dipstick.
__________________
1997 Pathfinder XE Air Lift Air Bags, Warn Hubs 2000 Windstar SEL |
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
Quote:
I know once they said a number of the mounting bolts we lose so they tightened everyone on the motor and frame, but the problem never went away. Greg |
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
Quote:
|
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
The low-intermediate servo overhaul is fairly simple to do while the tranny is in place. To rebuild this device takes 1 gasket and 2 o-ring seals (about $20), and about 1/2 quart of fluid will be lost. (Check to make sure both circlips are in place on each side of piston.)
I would suggest you do this service before doing any thing expensive. |
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
Also check the drivetrain wiring harness for chafing against ac tubing on firewall. You'll have to remove cowling for a good look.
|
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
Quote:
Is the protrusion out of the back of the trannie on the right side under the heat shield this low-intermediate servo? Would this be the same for a 95? Thanks Dan
__________________
******************************************* Wiswind's Windstar repair pics http://community.webshots.com/album/201931518cScpNK Photos of my repairs: http://dansautopictures.shutterfly.com/ Check this out:http://threewheelmotorcyclemetro.shutterfly.co A must read about problems Windstars have: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=672854 95 Windstar 240,000+ 98 Windstar 136,000+ 09-25-2008. 85 Dodge 1 Ton Snow mover gas hog 91 Mazda Protege free beater SW MN |
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
I would guess "yes" .... but am not sure about the '95. You might drop by the dealer parts counter and get an exploded view of your model ... that will show you definitely.
|
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
I have also noticed, just to muddy the waters some here, that when the ATF gets older the 1-2 shifts tend to firm up substantially. This is especially true when the incorrect ATF is used in them.
The correct ATF is "Mercon V" for the '98 and newer transaxles in the Wind/FreeStars. If you change the ATF, it is very important that you clear the adaptive shift strategies in the computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 minutes or so. This will allow the computer to re-learn proper sifting with the new ATF, and avoid possible VERY costly ATX damage. |
|
#10
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
Quote:
|
|
#11
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
Well I got some good information to check on. I am hoping when the Dealer did the complete flush and filter change just recently they used the proper fuild, filled it all the way and did what is need to make sure the computer does the right things.
Would you say it would be a good idea to disconnect the battery anyway to see what happens. Hey LeSabre97mint, I was looking at your pictures and notice you picture for the Akebono Ceramic Pad, i put a set on my van and subaru and they are the best brakes I have every used. No dust and the last and have great stopping power. I will only use them in the future considering I was going through break every 20k to 25k miles on the van. I have 40K on Akebono and they are showing very little wear. |
|
#12
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
Quote:
|
|
#13
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
53 F100, are the hard shifts when driving straight or when you make a turn? Do you also have any soft shifts/slipping?
__________________
1998 Blazer 4WD 4.3L 118,000miles 4dr Repairs--rear main seal, u/l ball joints, pitman/idler arms, i/o tie rod ends, control arm bushings, motor/trans mounts, oil relocation lines, door pin bushings, water pump, ring/pinion. --Bad ABS ground, loose connection blower motor, repaired pulse board. Mods/upgrades-Throttle plate mod. 1999 Ford Windstar SE 3.8L 160,000miles Repairs--P171/P174 procedure, loaded control arms, tie rod ends, shocks, struts, springs. |
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
Quote:
When starting from "learned" strategies with old ATF, the shifts are slower and softer due to the fact that old ATF is WAY more "grippy" than new ATF. So you get LOTS of slippage with fresh ATF unless the PCM adaptive strategies are cleared back to zero - by disconnecting the battery. When starting from a cleared PCM, just as with a new vehicle, the shifts start off firm and quick (relatively speaking of course) as that condition is from new fresh ATF - just like the factory. |
|
#15
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Hard Shift 1-2 in 99 Windstar
Quote:
|
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|