-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community
Mustang Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-17-2006, 01:56 AM
Marantz Marantz is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
95 5.0 mustang serious problems

So picked up a mustang a few months ago. When I got it, it was studdering and accelerating weird, so I took it in and had the mass airflow sensor replaced (Thats what they said was wrong.......). The car ran like a top, but then just yesterday after letting it sit for about a week (Only drive it about once or twice every two weeks) it started all over again, this time worse, stalling, studdering, and sometimes just not starting at all. Checked the coil, replaced the distributor cap, and found out the little metal peice on the end of the rotor had fallen off, replaced the rotor, tried again, car still doesnt run right....something I'm missing? Something that needs to be reset? Something easy? Not injectors?
__________________
01 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
94 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-17-2006, 06:39 AM
KimMG KimMG is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,276
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 95 5.0 mustang serious problems

Were you able to retrieve the little metal piece or is it in the distributer?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Marantz Marantz is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 95 5.0 mustang serious problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimMG
Were you able to retrieve the little metal piece or is it in the distributer?
Yeah we got it out, when we pulled out the distributer, the guy that was working on it with me turned it and I saw something bouncing around inside, I turned it upside down and dumped out the piece. We looked at it for a minute and then realized it went to the rotor, we kind of laughed about it for a few minutes thinking wow, we found the problem, put the distributer back (in the same spot we took it out..) and got a new rotor ($3.99..we were thrilled), put it all back together and........dun dun dun....no luck
__________________
01 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
94 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 AM
KimMG KimMG is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,276
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 95 5.0 mustang serious problems

You need fuel, air, and spark.

Did you check fuel delivery? Spark?

When cylinder #1 is at TDC, where is the rotor pointing? Is it pointing at the #1 spark plug wire on the cap?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-19-2006, 01:44 AM
Marantz Marantz is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 95 5.0 mustang serious problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimMG
You need fuel, air, and spark.

Did you check fuel delivery? Spark?

When cylinder #1 is at TDC, where is the rotor pointing? Is it pointing at the #1 spark plug wire on the cap?
Checked fuel, well, sorta, I could smell it, it seems to just flood the engine after awhile, and misfire pretty bad.

Checked spark, got that.

I'll check to see if the rotor is pointing to 1 on TDC.
__________________
01 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
94 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-20-2006, 12:55 AM
dorfboy dorfboy is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via ICQ to dorfboy Send a message via Yahoo to dorfboy
Re: 95 5.0 mustang serious problems

I have a dumb idea. A friend of mine had this problem with an 87 Mustang 4 cyl. The car would run for a bit, studder and then die or not start at all. Someone told him to replace the fuel cap. So he did and the car runs perfectly. Try it, it may help.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-20-2006, 04:23 PM
HiFlow5 0's Avatar
HiFlow5 0 HiFlow5 0 is offline
Stanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,171
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via AIM to HiFlow5 0
Re: 95 5.0 mustang serious problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marantz
Yeah we got it out, when we pulled out the distributer, the guy that was working on it with me turned it and I saw something bouncing around inside, I turned it upside down and dumped out the piece. We looked at it for a minute and then realized it went to the rotor, we kind of laughed about it for a few minutes thinking wow, we found the problem, put the distributer back (in the same spot we took it out..) and got a new rotor ($3.99..we were thrilled), put it all back together and........dun dun dun....no luck
Even if you did install the dizzy in the same spot, you could have installed the rotor one tooth off which would cause your problems. I would check the timing and go from there. Stock for your year in 10* BTDC. Remember, check the timing with the spout connector removed. Other then that, things to check are plugs, wires, and TPS voltage.
__________________
[size=1]-1950 Ford Custom, flathead V8
-2013 Ford Flex
-1999 Ford F150

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-20-2006, 04:26 PM
HiFlow5 0's Avatar
HiFlow5 0 HiFlow5 0 is offline
Stanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,171
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via AIM to HiFlow5 0
Re: 95 5.0 mustang serious problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marantz
Checked fuel, well, sorta, I could smell it, it seems to just flood the engine after awhile, and misfire pretty bad.

Checked spark, got that.

I'll check to see if the rotor is pointing to 1 on TDC.
The rotor should be pointing at the #1 terminal of the dizzy with the balancer timing marks at 0 for #1 TDC. What did the plugs look like when you checked them, and was the gap correct?
__________________
[size=1]-1950 Ford Custom, flathead V8
-2013 Ford Flex
-1999 Ford F150

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-29-2006, 09:15 PM
N2TRUKN N2TRUKN is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Re: 95 5.0 mustang serious problems

Hi,

I've Got A 6cyl 95 Mustang. I Had A Semilar Prob. If Your Trouble Is When You Are Accelerating It Might Be The Pre Filter On The Fuel Pump. Are Even The Pump Or Main Filter Out Side The Tank.

The Pre Filter Is In Side The Tank Attached To The Pump. And Believe It Or Not Its Easy To Get To. Just Empty The Tank, Drop The Straps( 2 Screw I Think) And There It Is. Then Undo The Retainer Ring On Top Of The Pump And Slide Pump Out. You Can Leave All The Hoses Hooked Up If You Want ( I Did). After You Get The Pump Out You'll See The Filter. I Just Cleaned The Filter On Mine, But Im Shure That The Part Is Probably Under 10 Bucks.

Anyway Thats How I Fixed My Trouble. Hope This Story Helps.

Good Luck,

N2trukn

Ps. The Ford Shop Had No I Idea What Was Up With Mine. Also, The Computer Was Showing Low Voltage Accross The Mass Air Sensor. They Replaced Fuel Pump And Outer Filter. It Seemed To Fix It, But 15 Min Later ( After I Left The Shop ) It Started Up Again.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:20 PM
rdtynersr rdtynersr is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 95 5.0 mustang serious problems

I have a 95' mustang 3.8 and, I have a 89' 5.0 that I would like to swap the motor from and install it into the 95'. Will the 89' motor drop right in with no problems and if so,will the 5-speed tranny in the 3.8 work with the 5.0 motor. I am quite sure that I will have to change the computers and harnesses. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to get rid of the 89 body if this exchange would work with not too many difficulties. Anyone want an 89' body (Free)!
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts