-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-20-2006, 06:27 PM
mikey85 mikey85 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
94 Galant Tranny problem

A friend of mine has a 94 Galant and the transmission I am pretty sure is out. It has reverse but no drive. It started a couple of weeks ago. It would take about a block or so before it would shift out of 1st. Now it will not even go into 1st. Replace transmission????? If so what is involved with this and can a do it yourselfer accomplish this feat.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Sleepr awd's Avatar
Sleepr awd Sleepr awd is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,015
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Sleepr awd Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepr awd
Re: 94 Galant Tranny problem

what kind of automotive experience do you have?

do you have the necessary tools / parts available?

i personally would not attempt anything on an automatic transmission, but i'm fairly limited on automotive experience. I mean, if you have everything you need to do it, and the time to do it, i don't see why it can't be done!
__________________


Don't act like you don't love it.
503/2000
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2006, 09:21 AM
mikey85 mikey85 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 94 Galant Tranny problem

I have a little experience with transmissions. I have just recently replaced the transmission in my 94 ford f-250 4x4. It was a JOB. but do-able. I was just not as familiar with front wheel drives.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-28-2006, 06:53 AM
Jadavisit Jadavisit is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red face Re: 94 Galant Tranny problem

Over the next 2 weeks I will be replacing the OD Clutch (End clutch) on my car. I have been researching this type of problem for months now because I had the same with my 98 Galant at about 120k miles. Now I can only Drive it with O/D off. I clearly see that there is a big chance that I only need to replace the clutch which can be baught off of ebay for $50 or found at a dealer for about $160. It does not require you to remove the transmission only the right/front wheel. For a mechanic it might take about 10-15 min. for a normal personal with limited skills or tools it would probably take 30 min. or so. I know I have done a lot of car work over the years and will be making this my main goal over the next few weeks. I will let everyone waiting to find out if this works or not know what happens. I know I much rather spend $50-$160 than 1400 on a new trans if it is not needed. I will be using the Hayes Repair Manual as my guide through the work. If you do not own this book for your year/model I hgihly suggest you buy it. This book has helped me complete thousands of dollars worth of work on my car in just a few short days over the past 4 years.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts