-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Murphster05 Murphster05 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
89 inline six water pump pulley?

Ok, so long story short, I am replacing my water pump (along with the rest of my cooling system...) I have fun aground at the water pump pulley, I can't seem to get the bolts out of it. I got the first three out using another to break them, but at the fourth I am at an impass. I can't seem to grip anything to keep the pulley still while I attempt to break a nearly impossibly stuck on bolt...any ideas? Also, how am I going to put this thing back on there...?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-10-2006, 06:40 AM
fredjacksonsan's Avatar
fredjacksonsan fredjacksonsan is offline
Caution: Monkeys bite!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,143
Thanks: 15
Thanked 75 Times in 70 Posts
Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: 89 inline six water pump pulley?

So the bolts are breaking as you try to take them out? The fourth one sounds like you need an extra set of hands to stabilize the old pump while you get it out.

Once you have the pump off, there are tools available (forget the name) that will drill into the bolt a short distance, dig in, then let you back out the old bolt. They you can get a tap and die of the right size and pitch, and ream out the hole to specs.

This may be a stupid question, no insult intended(sorry if any is taken), but you are turning the bolts counterclockwise to loosen them, right? Iit's just I haven't heard of all the bolts in a water pump breaking when taken out.
__________________
Ours: 2020 Jeep Wrangler 2.0, 53k
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 84k
Kids: 2005 Honda CRV, 228k
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-10-2006, 09:17 AM
AlohaBra's Avatar
AlohaBra AlohaBra is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,471
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 89 inline six water pump pulley?

Put one screw back (or two) and use a large screw driver to span the two while you loosen it. Then remove with socket.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Saudade's Avatar
Saudade Saudade is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 977
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: 89 inline six water pump pulley?

What they said to remove the last bolt. When you put them back in, just snug them down. Once you put your belt on and adjusted, you can tighten the bolts up. If you have to do this again some day, loosen the bolts BEFORE you loosen the belt. The serp belt grabs really well and should provide enough resistance .

Of course, if the other methods fail, you could put the belt back on.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Murphster05 Murphster05 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 89 inline six water pump pulley?

thanks for the info! I will give it a try
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts