-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunfire > General Discussions
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-29-2006, 08:42 PM
NWIgirlatIU NWIgirlatIU is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
97: New engine or total it?

I'd like to appologize upfront. I'm a 20 year old girl and know nothing about cars, yet really need help. I don't have my drivers manual here as it's in my broken car 3 hours away so I don't know what kind of engine/transmission I have. It's an automatic, 2 door, year 97. That's pretty much all I know, sorry.

car broke down today...police officer/mechanic looked at it and told me it was a broken engine rod, or so I beleive obne of them said. He estimated it would cost $1000-2000 to fix, which I'm assuming is a new engine. The car has 118,000 miles already. Last summer we had to get an engine head (??) replaced because it blew. Is it really worth all the money, or should I just get a new car?

Please respond here or at my email, [email protected]
I appreciate any help you can give, as I'm clueless as to what to do.

Thanks, Allison
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-30-2006, 12:02 AM
hotbug1776's Avatar
hotbug1776 hotbug1776 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 440
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 97: New engine or total it?

Where is the car currently located, you said 3 hours away. I hope it's the Toledo area, or the Indianapolis area. The motor is a quick fix, and a used motor can be had for cheap. if you are looking at a new motor, and you have a GT sunfire, then the price is pretty good, since a new motor will run you about $2000. The 2.2L should run you close to that much as well. Both prices are before labor.

I saw that you are in Indiana, there are several J-body owners in the Chicago area, so getting help wouldn't be that big a deal. A new motor can be swapped in a weekend. And just about every junk yard has a J-body motor in it.

Let me know if you have any concerns with this. My advice, keep the car, they live forever if properly maintained, and if the body is in good shape, then a motor is a small price to pay to keep a good car.
__________________
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunfire > General Discussions


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts