-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-16-2006, 05:11 PM
stoned_pimp420 stoned_pimp420 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 470
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to stoned_pimp420
Cast Numbers

Last night about 11:30 I bought a SBC for 100 dollars, entire engine, rotating assembly, spare cam, distributor, intake and quadrajet carb. The only problem is that it has sat up for a while and is only partway assembled, but even that isn't a big problem, I plan to tear it back down to rebuild it but the guy who sold it to me doesn't remember what it came out of, so all I have to go by are the cast numbers on the block. The numbers are ......3970010........Could anyone on here tell me what this came in, what year it is and whatnot so I can start ordering parts for it, it also doesn't have a dipstick in it, but it has what appears to be halfway clean oil in it and a not too old Fram filter on it.
__________________
I'm back after a long mental evaluation and heavy medication!

If you can't be a good example, you can always be a horrible warning!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-16-2006, 09:26 PM
dmbrisket 51's Avatar
dmbrisket 51 dmbrisket 51 is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,835
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dmbrisket 51
Re: Cast Numbers

that number matches years 68-79, could be either a 350 or 327, (lol i like this spec, its real specific) any where from 145 to 375 horses, and they come in 2 and 4 bolt main
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2006, 08:44 AM
onerchprk onerchprk is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to onerchprk Send a message via Yahoo to onerchprk
Re: Cast Numbers

These are the numbers i got


3970010 302 1969 Camaro Z/28 - 4 bolt main bearings
3970010 327 1969 2 bolt main bearings - trucks
3970010 350 1969 - 80 2 or 4 bolt main bearings
__________________
1997 Aerostar (239,000 Miles)

1993 Aerostar (189,000 Miles)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2006, 04:12 PM
stoned_pimp420 stoned_pimp420 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 470
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to stoned_pimp420
Re: Cast Numbers

so when I go to order a dipstick among other things, what the hell do I order them for. The reason I figured it was an mid to late 80's is because it has the distributor where the ignition module is mounted atop of it, (you know the nightmare system of the mid 80's caprices w/ a 305) and it also doesn't have sparkplugs like the older engines. The older engines use 13/16 spark plugs and this one has (broken off) 5/8 spark plugs in it. But everyone can assure me this is no 305..........right, I don't want a 305, I already have two of those locked up tight.
__________________
I'm back after a long mental evaluation and heavy medication!

If you can't be a good example, you can always be a horrible warning!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-17-2006, 09:11 PM
dmbrisket 51's Avatar
dmbrisket 51 dmbrisket 51 is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,835
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dmbrisket 51
Re: Cast Numbers

the 305 is a good moter, the cam and valve guides are the bastards in those
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts