-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-09-2006, 12:23 AM
sourgrout sourgrout is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1990 troop with hesitation stumble=no answer

I have a 1990 with a 2.8l TBI I have done a major tune up and cleaned the throttle body inside and out. The truck has a slight hesistation from a stop and when I'm cruising down the road around 25-35 mph it jerks and stumbles. When I block the egr by plugging the vacuum line it goes away and she runs perfect. So I replaced the egr and tested the egr selenoid valve and it still does it. Its like its getting too much egr at lower rpms. It idles great with or without the egr plugged and if I stomp on it it has plenty of get up and no hesitation. just acts up when driving lightly. Anyone else have this same thing happen to them? How to fix? I cant figure it out...
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Quyinnindenver Quyinnindenver is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1990 troop with hesitation stumble=no answer

Did you clean out the Egr tube as well when you changed the EGR Valve?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2006, 01:00 PM
sourgrout sourgrout is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1990 troop with hesitation stumble=no answer

yeah I cleaned it out. The egr system works, but it effects the drivability too much, like the egr is giving the engine too much exhaust gas. I think it might be weak fuel injectors that are causing it although it runs great without the egr hooked up. so I dunno
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Quyinnindenver Quyinnindenver is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1990 troop with hesitation stumble=no answer

Have you done a pressure test on the injector rail?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-2006, 03:05 PM
sourgrout sourgrout is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1990 troop with hesitation stumble=no answer

Yeah 12psi at idle but drops to zero as soon as i turn the motor off. dunno if thats normal for a tbi
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Quyinnindenver Quyinnindenver is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1990 troop with hesitation stumble=no answer

yep 12.5 psi @ 1000 rpm and pressure should drop but down to 5 psi when the engine is off.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-09-2006, 04:16 PM
sourgrout sourgrout is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1990 troop with hesitation stumble=no answer

OK thanks, my other concern which was brought to my attention is that if the fuel injectors are weak or have a poor spray pattern, though it runs fine without the egr, when engaged it compounds the problem... i really dont want to make the mistake of dropping 200 bucks into new injectors if its not the problem so I'm alittle hesitant. The truck has 147k miles, I assume the injectors are stock. I did a TBI tune up kit and cleaned the crap out of it and sprayed and soaked the injector tips in injector cleaner... however they could still have a bad flow pattern. i tried to check em with a timing light pointed down the tbi at night, but I didnt see any conical spray pattern. Oh and the stumble gets worse as the motor warms up.Any other thoughts?
Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Quyinnindenver Quyinnindenver is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1990 troop with hesitation stumble=no answer

dids you clean the injector rail? also did you run a round wire brush through the exhaust railshould be able to get one at home depot it should be 1/2 inch to 1 inch. with a foot long rod that will fit on the end of a drill.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2006, 06:11 PM
sourgrout sourgrout is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1990 troop with hesitation stumble=no answer

this truck is a tbi it doesnt have a fuel rail..
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts