-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-30-2006, 01:08 AM
92VR4Red's Avatar
92VR4Red 92VR4Red is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 569
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Tail Shaft Broke!

I know I havent been on much... but alot of yall know me.
Well latest news on my car, I sent my tranny and t-case to GT-Pro to have it "built", I upgraded to a 25 spline out put shaft and t-case, and got the harden shaft you know the works cost me $1800 (cause I always have the hook ups :P) most of the time people would pay around 2800. Well anyways, I built, rebuilt and replaced all drivetrain parts.
Tranny and t-case built - 1800
Cv Shafts rebuilt - 120
Hub/bearings replaced - 250
Carbon fiber drive shaft, one peice (beutiful peace) - 1000
And other various things.
Well after spending around $4000 I had the "Red beast" running.

4th night after completion, I was hanging out up at sonic and I saw the Colbalt white smokeing his tires out of the parking lot across the street, so I thought to my self "I'll give him a run for his money".
so I later cetch him down the road and I was rideing his ass, so he does what any normal person does, tries to leave me, but I stay right on his ass. so we are going about a 100mph and he still is trying to leave me, so.... I said "lets stop playing around". I drop to 3rd and punch it and easly pulled right on around him and he trys to keep up but I leave him like he was a brick wall. Well I also had my freind todd with me so I was showing off too, so I keep going after i left to Colbalt and was going to hit my top speed. Well when I get around 165mph I hear a 'Snap', (panic) I look back and I see giant cloud of white smoke. The smell of gear oil was very strong. so I coasted to a gas station, and look under my car and see nothing but gear oil all over my downpipe (hence white smoke) and its just driping. Todd said "Lets leave it hear" but me with my attitude said "no" (because I am not leaveing over $30,000 dallors worth of performance parts in some parking lot) soooooooooo I drive it home, everything seamed normal, Jacked it up, slid under with the creeper and geuss what I see... a broken tail shaft, Im lucky to be alive considering if it would had binded... well... yall get the picture. So I ordered a new tail shaft for $250... and should be running tomorow.



__________________
Upgrades... To many to list...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-30-2006, 10:42 AM
AutostradaVR4 AutostradaVR4 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,546
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Tail Shaft Broke!

lol at least it wasnt one of the parts you had just replaced...

anyways...thats pretty impressive. Yea, you got pretty lucky, it could have been alot worse outcome.

I certainly hope you were going that fast on a highway or something...you give the impression it was a side street lol...if so, your frickin crazy, bro!
__________________
Formerly BlinkRA182

--VR-4-- --09 Lancer RALLIART-- --Me--
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-30-2006, 10:45 AM
92VR4Red's Avatar
92VR4Red 92VR4Red is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 569
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Tail Shaft Broke!

Na it was a highway. And that was a brand new part... I think it got fractured in shiping... and when I got going 165 it just broke.
__________________
Upgrades... To many to list...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Igovert500's Avatar
Igovert500 Igovert500 is offline
blue + red light magnet
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Tail Shaft Broke!

Probably fractured under hard launches, and eventually gave way.

Might want to check this out:

http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=318935

Ray and Sean have made/are testing a solution to this. They aren't for sale yet, but if they do go for sale in the future, it maybe something you want to look into.
__________________
96 3000gt vr4
-K&N FIPK
-Proboost mbc
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-30-2006, 03:54 PM
sLADe781 sLADe781 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,804
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Tail Shaft Broke!

Wow, that's insane 92VR4Red... But um....is the tail shaft the back part of the transfer case? Or what part is it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-30-2006, 09:47 PM
AutostradaVR4 AutostradaVR4 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,546
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Tail Shaft Broke!

[quote=BlinkRA182]lol at least it wasnt one of the parts you had just replaced...[quote]

sry man...after readin the 3si thread i realize what a noob i am
__________________
Formerly BlinkRA182

--VR-4-- --09 Lancer RALLIART-- --Me--
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts