-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-29-2006, 07:39 PM
walleye1 walleye1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 wheel drive not working

I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado Z71 with a 5.3L engine and 160K. I'm having trouble with the 4wd system. My 4 auto works but the 4Hi and 4low do not.When I push the buttons to change them you can hear the transfer case switching but the front axle doesn't engage. Can anybody help me out with this.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-29-2006, 08:41 PM
silverado122775's Avatar
silverado122775 silverado122775 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,064
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 4 wheel drive not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye1
I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado Z71 with a 5.3L engine and 160K. I'm having trouble with the 4wd system. My 4 auto works but the 4Hi and 4low do not.When I push the buttons to change them you can hear the transfer case switching but the front axle doesn't engage. Can anybody help me out with this.

I am not far from you on miles..lol I have a 2000 with 146K.
About your 4wd. I am going to guess that if the 4hi and 4low does not engage. that the auto is not working either. I would check the 4wd sensor. i believe it is located in the xfer case
__________________

2000 Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N GenII Air Intake, Y-pipe Exhaust (no muffler), Bosch Platnium +4 plugs, 242k miles and still running.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-03-2006, 03:11 AM
firedawg81 firedawg81 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 4 wheel drive not working

WAIT!!! Before you get into messing with the transmission I would put money on it being your 4x4 switch on the dash. I had to replace mine at 57k miles on my 99. When you try 4 H and 4 L will the engage lights on your buttons blink then switch back to 2 H? Thats what mine was doing and I took it to the dealer and I FINALLY got a service tech who was willing to take time out and listen to my issue instead of trying to set me up for a time to rip my tranny apart. I bought the switch for $60 and it took 3 min to replace, its as simple as popping your dash off, popping the switch out then plugging the new one in and my 4W drive was like new.
__________________




99 Silverado z71 LT

6" tough country lift, 35" cooper discoverer tires with 18" amp flathead rims, K&N series 77 cool air intake
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-03-2006, 05:00 PM
sierra99 sierra99 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 4 wheel drive not working

still wait....instead of buying a new switch...take your old switch apart and resolder the connections and solder points..I had the same problem and save myself 60 and it is as good as new.....pretty simple.....on a scale of 1 to 10 and 10 being the hardest I would rate this a 2 or a 3......really simple
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-04-2006, 08:34 AM
silverado122775's Avatar
silverado122775 silverado122775 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,064
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 4 wheel drive not working

wait some more!! you could just leave the whole thing alone and do nothing and live with the problem
__________________

2000 Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N GenII Air Intake, Y-pipe Exhaust (no muffler), Bosch Platnium +4 plugs, 242k miles and still running.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-04-2006, 11:20 PM
CodyJackson311 CodyJackson311 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 4 wheel drive not working

there is a expanding finger in the front gearbox that went bad on my 2000 chevy 3500 i would make sure it is expanding sorry forgot the name but i bought one at the oriellys store here.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-06-2006, 09:43 AM
LHThunder LHThunder is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 4 wheel drive not working

This problem is why I came to these forums. Popped mine out, Carefully took it apart (Don't break the little ear things) and re-flowed the solder joints where the pins meet the circuit board. Good as new!! Like the other guy said, 1-10, 3 tops. If you do not have a soldering iron or have not ever done it, you can get by with with a Radio Shack Iron and very small 1/16" solder. Touch the solder to the tip, to get a very small amount on the tip, then touch the solder pad where the pins meet the board. Once it is all melted, (flowed is the technical term) you can move on to the next one. A good Hot iron and it should not take more than a few seconds to flow. Before you start, if you look close you will see hair-line cracks in the solder, that is your problem.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-12-2006, 09:37 AM
grego10r grego10r is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 4 wheel drive not working

i got the same pro but my blows the atc fuse when i put in 4x4hi or auto could be the swich or something ells
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-12-2006, 10:55 AM
MT-2500's Avatar
MT-2500 MT-2500 is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,690
Thanks: 5
Thanked 122 Times in 121 Posts
Re: 4 wheel drive not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye1
I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado Z71 with a 5.3L engine and 160K. I'm having trouble with the 4wd system. My 4 auto works but the 4Hi and 4low do not.When I push the buttons to change them you can hear the transfer case switching but the front axle doesn't engage. Can anybody help me out with this.
What transfer case does it have 236 or 246/or a 261?
A good engine/transmission capable scanner will read out the transfer case shifting and problems and test it out for you.
That takes out the fix this or fix that or may be this or that.
It will point you right to your problem.
If you get any codes post back codes.
MT
__________________
Remember proper testing gives us the answer to many problems.
MT
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-12-2006, 11:05 AM
umpire4life umpire4life is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 4 wheel drive not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye1
I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado Z71 with a 5.3L engine and 160K. I'm having trouble with the 4wd system. My 4 auto works but the 4Hi and 4low do not.When I push the buttons to change them you can hear the transfer case switching but the front axle doesn't engage. Can anybody help me out with this.
Take off the Neg. battery cable for about five min. and reinstall it this resets the computer and your switch should work now.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts