-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mazda > 626/Capella/Capella Wagon
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Hellraizer_2k Hellraizer_2k is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ProStart & New Transmission

Hey all..
I just got a rebuilt transmission installed..,But now my ProStart 5000 isn't working well.. The alarm works fine, but when I try and start it, sometimes it will turn over only for a couple of seconds then die, sometimes it won't even turn over but crank for a long time.. And then sometimes it will just flash the lights 10 times..
I researched the manual on this and all it says for 10 flashes is:


The Hood Switch line went to ground during cranking or run time

Can someone help me with this? I just installed a new hood pin. I think I did it right.. Any tips\suggestions?
Thanks a LOT!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-03-2006, 08:18 PM
kjbuente kjbuente is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to kjbuente Send a message via Yahoo to kjbuente
Re: ProStart & New Transmission

Sounds like a loose connection with your hood switch. I am not sure how your hood switch works, but with a bulldog security when you lift your hood it make a connection with the wire from the unit to the ground. If grounded, then the unit will not allow the engine to start as a safty feture. If your works the same, try to disconnect that wire from the switch and leave it floting (not connected to anything)! And see if that works.


EDIT: I have like a total of 2 hours of sleep for the past 2 days, so I'm sorry that I have bad spelling.
__________________
If it ain't broken, Don't fix it!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Hellraizer_2k Hellraizer_2k is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ProStart & New Transmission

Thanks for the fast reply.. I have checked the hood switched and replaced with a new one... Same symptoms remain.. somewhat..

I have tried reprogramming the tach - as the manual suggests.. However when I get to the point where I press the brake after starting and the car reaches idle, I get no response from the ProStart unit. As the manual suggests it should flash 5 times..
Read further in the manual and it says that the purple wire should be connected to the negative point of my coil.. I looked under the hood and found a loose purple wire.. I am NO mechanic and even with the cars manual (1995 Mazda 626) I still can't find out where I should hook it up?? Any suggestions??
Further to the hood switch, is there any special thing I should know about installing one? As I said I am no mechanic =)

The unit is a ProStart 5000..
Thanks again to any replies!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-04-2006, 05:41 PM
kjbuente kjbuente is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to kjbuente Send a message via Yahoo to kjbuente
Re: ProStart & New Transmission

No prob with the fast reply.

Unforunetly, I am not familiure with your setup. I told ya everything I knew about my remote start. Also, I do not have a wire diagram on me right now, but as soon as I can get to one I will let you know.
__________________
If it ain't broken, Don't fix it!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-15-2006, 09:43 AM
ponchonutty's Avatar
ponchonutty ponchonutty is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,432
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ProStart & New Transmission

I'd bet the tach. wire if it was used before has been unhooked now. That will cause remote starters to do what you say because it's not seeing the proper tach. signal. Also, it may just need reprogrammed. I'm sure they had the battery unhooked for a while.
__________________
Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 z71
Pioneer 4900mp
Orion P6.2 Componet sets front
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround


2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Hellraizer_2k Hellraizer_2k is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ProStart & New Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
I'd bet the tach. wire if it was used before has been unhooked now. That will cause remote starters to do what you say because it's not seeing the proper tach. signal. Also, it may just need reprogrammed. I'm sure they had the battery unhooked for a while.

Thanks for the reply ponchonutty.. The purple wire is NOT hooked up and I think it only needs to be while programming the TACH-like you said.. so my question still remains: Where does this purple (TACH) wire hook up?? The manual says the negative pole of the Ignition Coil - but I havent an idea where it is on my car nor what it looks like...=( Can anyone point me in the right direction on this??
Where does this purple (TACH) wire go??? 1995 Mazda 626 LX
Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-05-2006, 09:15 PM
ponchonutty's Avatar
ponchonutty ponchonutty is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,432
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ProStart & New Transmission

Well wait a minute, you are saying the tach wire wasn't used before? Maybe when they unhooked the battery it went back to tach sensing when before it was voltage sensing?
__________________
Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 z71
Pioneer 4900mp
Orion P6.2 Componet sets front
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround


2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Hellraizer_2k Hellraizer_2k is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ProStart & New Transmission

Hey..
well this all started when I got my transmissionr eplaced by a not-so-good mechanic.. He couldn't figure out the Prostart so he left it.. I programmed the alarm and everything myself when I got it home but can't get the autostart to work.
I looked at the hood-pin and it was rusted so I replaced.. Further reading in the ProStart manual, it says that the purple wire should goto the negative pole of the ignition wire (amongst several other possible places) then perform several other steps to re-TACH the car...
Well I looked under the hood for a purple wire and found it.. One end is through the firewall and connects to a wire harness inside (I think to my alarm box) the other was just sitting, not connected, under my hood.. So in order to TACH my car I need to know where to hook up this purple wire.. I don't know cars very well so I dont even know where my ignition coil is?? this is where I think I need the help.. Once I connect the purple wire to wherever it should go, the rest of the steps should be fairly simple.. anyone??
Thanks again for the replies.. I hope my questions aren't too lame
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-07-2006, 08:00 PM
ponchonutty's Avatar
ponchonutty ponchonutty is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,432
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ProStart & New Transmission

Ok, well what year 626 do you have? The easiest way to find the neg. coil wire is to follow the sparkplug wires from the sparkplugs back to the coil. Your coil wire will be there but I need to know what year car you have to tell you which wire you'll use.

Also, many times when I do remote starters I go to one of the wires off of one of the fuel injector wires.
__________________
Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 z71
Pioneer 4900mp
Orion P6.2 Componet sets front
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround


2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Hellraizer_2k Hellraizer_2k is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ProStart & New Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
Ok, well what year 626 do you have? The easiest way to find the neg. coil wire is to follow the sparkplug wires from the sparkplugs back to the coil. Your coil wire will be there but I need to know what year car you have to tell you which wire you'll use.

Also, many times when I do remote starters I go to one of the wires off of one of the fuel injector wires.
OMG! Thanks for stickin with me ponchonutty! The year is 1995.. Its a 626 Chronos LX.. Im not picky where I hook the purple wire as long as I know where and how =) So directions to the fuel injector would be welcome as well
I should add that I followed my wires to the coil (I think its the coil) its round and where all the wires hook up to? Anyways; Im guessing I take this apart (open it) and the coil should be inside somewhere marked negative? How do I hook the wire to it? Do I put it all together again while the wire is hooked? Or leave it apart during the TACHing?
Betcha can tell I dont kno cars well huh? Well thanks for sticking around!! =)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-10-2006, 06:50 AM
ponchonutty's Avatar
ponchonutty ponchonutty is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,432
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ProStart & New Transmission

OK. Is this a Mazda 626? If so the at the coil there should be a green or gray wire. That'll be the signal wire you can use. Either strip back some of the wires' insulation and wrap the copper wires together followed up with some good electrical tape like 3m Super 33+. You can also use 3m Scotch Locs too.

For injectors you'll need to find the fuel rail. It'll look like a tube and on one end hoses connect and somewhere on there there will be a little port that looks kinda like the valve on tires where you put air in them. Anyway, on each injector there will be 2 wires. One wire will be common on each injector. The other wire will be different colors. That other wire that's different in color is the wire you'll want.
__________________
Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 z71
Pioneer 4900mp
Orion P6.2 Componet sets front
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround


2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-10-2006, 10:06 AM
mazdatech177 mazdatech177 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 282
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ProStart & New Transmission

just take the prostart 5000 out of your car... trust me, no one is going to steal your 95 626 4 cylinder automatic
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-10-2006, 06:17 PM
ponchonutty's Avatar
ponchonutty ponchonutty is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,432
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ProStart & New Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdatech177
just take the prostart 5000 out of your car... trust me, no one is going to steal your 95 626 4 cylinder automatic
How about you either read ALL of the posts to get understanding of what's going on or go back to the Mazda threds. That's not just an alarm, it also has REMOTE START which is what is in question. The car starts fine with the key
__________________
Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 z71
Pioneer 4900mp
Orion P6.2 Componet sets front
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround


2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-13-2006, 07:16 AM
Hellraizer_2k Hellraizer_2k is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ProStart & New Transmission

Thanks ponchonutty! You've been the BIGGEST help!! I have my car in the shop right now because my shifting cable snapped..
Ill look at those wires you suggested over the weekend if I get my car back.... One further question though.. When I splice the purple TACH wire to the green or gray wire (coil) do I leave it there? Or do I take it off once its TACHd?
ponchonutty you've been the best in this forum.. I can't thank you enuff for your responces!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-13-2006, 07:55 AM
ponchonutty's Avatar
ponchonutty ponchonutty is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,432
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ProStart & New Transmission

No, leave it on there. It'll then read the signal all the time. You'll have to read the owners or install manual how to teach it the tach after you've made the correct connection.
__________________
Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 z71
Pioneer 4900mp
Orion P6.2 Componet sets front
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround


2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mazda > 626/Capella/Capella Wagon


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts