-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Volkswagen > Rabbit
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Aaronjohndong Aaronjohndong is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
82 Rabbit diesel timing problem

I have replaced a injection pump but along the way my TDC and cam have moved. In all the books i cannot find a way to time the cam with TDC. All they say is the cam lobes should be pointed upwards.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Vancouver Van Vancouver Van is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 82 Rabbit diesel timing problem

I did that too...on my Westy. It has a 1.6 n/a Diesel, and I think Rabbits did too, if not a 1.5.

Here's what I eventually figured out...and it's been a couple years....

The cam pulley is supposed to be loose on the camshaft; the camshaft is supposed to be fixed in place from the rear. The tail of the shaft has a groove in it. VW sells a special tool that slips into the groove and clamps the rear of the head or something - I used a file and two woodworker's spring clamps and it worked okay.

The thing to watch there is you can be off 180 degrees. I think I just pondered my way through a 4-stroke engine cycle, and positioned the #1 cylinder's lobes so they were on, not off 180 degrees.

The pump-pulley has a hole in it; it has to be lined up with the matching hole in the bracket behind it. Again, there's a tool; again, I made my own, this time from copper pipe. I had a scrap piece; it had to be sanded a bit to slip in, but works good.

The crank pulley....I'm not remembering this part real well. I THINK the keyway is supposed to align straight up. This can be confirmed by the cylinder position. Pull an injector, I guess, and look?

Once the camshaft, pump, and crank are locked down thusly, you position and tension the belt, and then tighten the cam pulley.

**
Good luck. I hope I remembered this right. I know I carefully hand-cranked it through about ten full revolutions, then reset everything as above before actually starting it. At first, I thought VW was nuts for not putting marks on things; I decided, however, that these hard component lock-downs, with one pully loose to allow tensioning without rotating compenents, is pretty smart.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Volkswagen > Rabbit


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts