-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-30-2006, 07:54 PM
james kremer james kremer is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy no spark

I have a 93 t.s. with the 3.8 auto. Ihad the van parked for about 3 months. I put a new battery in and went to start it, but it is not getting spark. First I thought it was'nt getting fuel, but it is. I put a screwdriver into one of the wires and cranked and then saw that it was'nt firing. Is there a relay or fuse in the engine compartment that I could check or is it something else? I checked the fuses in the van, all are fine. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-31-2006, 09:05 AM
GTP Dad GTP Dad is offline
Pontiac Guy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,441
Thanks: 2
Thanked 82 Times in 78 Posts
Re: no spark

The ignition system on your vehicle consists of several components all of which could have caused your problem. First, the Crank Position Sensor, Cam Position sensor, Ignition module, Coils or the Engine Control Module any of which can cause a no spark condition. You will probably have to check each one to see where the faulty component lies. It is not a usual happening for a component to go bad when the car is sitting so check to make sure that all the wires are intact. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-04-2006, 01:56 PM
james kremer james kremer is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: no spark

is there something I should check first? An order of seqeunce maybe? It's perplexing because it ran fine before being parked!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2006, 04:28 PM
nicke66 nicke66 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 191
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: no spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by james kremer
is there something I should check first? An order of seqeunce maybe? It's perplexing because it ran fine before being parked!
Check for any stored DTC. Jump pin A and B in the OBD connector. Turn the power on and count the CEL flashing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-2006, 07:15 PM
james kremer james kremer is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: no spark

how do I check the dtc?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-15-2006, 07:20 PM
james kremer james kremer is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: no spark

i've never done it before(DTC). where is it and how do i do it ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2006, 03:11 AM
nicke66 nicke66 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 191
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: no spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by james kremer
i've never done it before(DTC). where is it and how do i do it ?
Have a look at LMPs post: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=516498
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-16-2006, 09:51 AM
james kremer james kremer is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: no spark

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try today.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-2006, 02:17 PM
james kremer james kremer is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: no spark

Sorry for taking so long too reply. Checked codes today and got a 42. Says it's the ignition control circuit. Can anyone tell me where this is and how too check it. Thanks too all who replied earlier.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-12-2006, 03:32 PM
LMP's Avatar
LMP LMP is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,284
Thanks: 7
Thanked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Re: no spark

check this out as a starter:
www.avigex.ca/xport/dtc42.jpg
__________________
'93 Ponty Transport 3.8; 2011 SUzuki SX4 AWD (wife's) ; 2015 Sorento 2.4 AWD 1928 Graham Paige Model 629
I don't believe in miracles.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-12-2006, 06:01 PM
james kremer james kremer is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: no spark

Can you give it to me in laymens terms? I'm an idiot when it comes too electrical problems. Tell me what to stick where and when to do it will help lots. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-12-2006, 06:48 PM
GTP Dad GTP Dad is offline
Pontiac Guy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,441
Thanks: 2
Thanked 82 Times in 78 Posts
Re: no spark

Get under the van and find the starter. On the starter is the solenoid that has wires connected to it. One of these wires probably has come loose. Make sure to disconnect the battery before retightening the wires as they will have battery voltage to them and sparks will fly if you ground them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-12-2006, 11:03 PM
james kremer james kremer is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: no spark

Do these wires go to the ignition control curcuit? The van turns over o.k. Lots of power to the starter, but no spark to the plugs. I pulled the coils and plug too the pack, they are all clean. No corrosion at all. In one of the other post's, it was mentioned that the coil pack was'nt getting a ground, I may give that a try also. Still any other suggestions would be helpful, as I want too get this thing running so I can sell it! thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-20-2006, 09:40 AM
james kremer james kremer is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: no spark

Tried the ground, still no go. Do you think a used ignition control module from the wreckers is a good idea, or a new one. I don't have a lot of money too spend on this thing but also I don't want this problem back either. If this keeps up I think the van is going too the crusher! FRUSTRATED....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-04-2006, 06:31 PM
james kremer james kremer is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: no spark

Hey guys and gals. Finally got this thing running. Checked and cleaned every ground that I could find, put it all together and it fired right up... Only problem is it seems to have developed an oil leak!!!!! It seems to be coming from the back of the engine. I am not 18 anymore, so trying too twist myself in the engine compartment to see where it is coming from is impossible. Seems Dr. Evil had something to do in designing this F$*#ing van. Thanks for all your input.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts