-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-09-2006, 10:28 PM
stereobumps stereobumps is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5 Speed Manual Replacement

Hello I have a few questions for you guys. I have a 95 metro 3 cylinder with a 5 speed manual trans. It has recently exploded (250,000 miles) and I was wondering if any earlier models or later models or any trans from any other cars would be a suitable replacement. Such as from a Swift or a 90 or later Metro. Only reason I ask is there are none around here and I have found a Suzuki with a blown motor but good trans not sure on year though. Any help here appreciated. I would like to know it if would bolt right up, or if the clutch would have the same # of splines or if my current axles would fit. Thanks in advance!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2006, 01:13 AM
geozukigti geozukigti is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,307
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...t=transmission
My advice, stick with a 3cyl trans. Never drop a 4cyl trans in a 3cyl. The final drive is too large, and will take a toll on your acceleration and clutch.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2006, 01:42 AM
stereobumps stereobumps is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 5 Speed Manual Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by geozukigti
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...t=transmission
My advice, stick with a 3cyl trans. Never drop a 4cyl trans in a 3cyl. The final drive is too large, and will take a toll on your acceleration and clutch.
Yes but are the axles output shaft slpines and clutch input slpines the exact same or not?? This is really the only question! Will I need axles and clutch from donor car?? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Crvett69's Avatar
Crvett69 Crvett69 is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,751
Thanks: 0
Thanked 73 Times in 73 Posts
Re: 5 Speed Manual Replacement

transmissions ar the same and the clutch and axle splines will work with yours but you will barely be able to get going if you put the 4 cyl one in. your gear ratio should be 4.39 and the 4 cyl could be as high as 3.50. a normal 3 cyl metro from 89-94 is 4.10 so if you can't find one from 95-97 drop in a older one
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2006, 06:29 PM
stereobumps stereobumps is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: 5 Speed Manual Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crvett69
transmissions ar the same and the clutch and axle splines will work with yours but you will barely be able to get going if you put the 4 cyl one in. your gear ratio should be 4.39 and the 4 cyl could be as high as 3.50. a normal 3 cyl metro from 89-94 is 4.10 so if you can't find one from 95-97 drop in a older one

Ok so get one from a 1.0 I got that. But are all of them the same for Sprint, Firefly, Metro,Swift? Is the housing the same? Will the axles from my metro work on all these, and will the clutch be the same? I really need to do this on the cheap I found a tranny from a swift for $100 and I want to make sure it will fit with little or no hassles. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Metro Mighty Mouse's Avatar
Metro Mighty Mouse Metro Mighty Mouse is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 272
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 5 Speed Manual Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereobumps
Ok so get one from a 1.0 I got that. But are all of them the same for Sprint, Firefly, Metro,Swift? Is the housing the same? Will the axles from my metro work on all these, and will the clutch be the same? I really need to do this on the cheap I found a tranny from a swift for $100 and I want to make sure it will fit with little or no hassles. Thanks again!

Do it, it'll work.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-11-2006, 12:07 AM
geozukigti geozukigti is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,307
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't have said they were interchangable if they were different now would I have . Like I said. EVERY sprint/metro/swift/firefly from 1989-2001 has the EXACT same splines, bellhousing, and external dimensions. Only difference in the gear ratios and final drive ratio. My GTi engine is running a 3cyl convertible transmission.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Crvett69's Avatar
Crvett69 Crvett69 is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,751
Thanks: 0
Thanked 73 Times in 73 Posts
Re: 5 Speed Manual Replacement

is the swift a 3 cyl? if its a 4 cyl; you will not be happy with it once you put it in, any metro from 89 up will work but 3 cyl is best interchange, same with a firefly. sprint will only fit if its a 89 or newer
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-20-2006, 12:36 PM
cyberzl1 cyberzl1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 5 Speed Manual Replacement

Hello,

Are there any "better" 5th gear ratios that can easily be swapped to yield a better final ratio when cruising? A different trans that changes the ratio through all of the gears may not be ideal, but changing the top gear may have benefits to some.

My previous car was a Jetta, and that was a common tweak for mileage. It was possible to swap the 5th gear out of a diesel trans into the gas trans to change the overdrive from 0.93 to 0.84. It was good for 3-5mpg. It did necessitate downshifting whenever attempting to accelerate while in 5th, but that's not a big problem.

JW
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Geo > Metro


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts