-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-05-2006, 04:13 PM
RoseNoire RoseNoire is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help! 99 sebring convert. door /electrical problem!

Please someone knowledgeable help me with my car woes! I apologize if this ends up a bit long, but I want to give as much detail as possible to help you analyze the situation.

Okay, so I just bought a 99 Chrylser Sebring JXI convertible. This car has an alarm system which arms when you lock the car via the remote control or the electric door button. In general, the car has been running fine, no probs, had a mechanic take a look at it and he didn't notice any probs.

Last week, I had driven to work, and when I parked (closed all the doors, turned off all the lights and the radio) the remote was not working to let me lock the doors. Again, I checked to make sure everything was tucked into the car and the doors/trunk were fully closed. They were, so I figured that maybe the battery on the remote just needed replacing. I locked the car via the electric button on the driver's door inside, and went about with my day. When I left to go home, the car - of course - would not unlock with the remote, so I unlocked it manually with the key. I went to start the car, but nothing happened - seemingly, like the battery was dead...seatbelts were not working, engine would not even start, doors would not lock/unlock with the electric buttons. I noticed that the alarm was also stuck on...not flashing intermittently like it was supposed to. Anyway, so I called the CSAA guy and he basically said that I'd probably left something open or left something on (even though I was pretty sure I hadn't) which had drained the battery. He jump started the car and everything worked great for another week. Remote worked fined, too.

Until today. I started up the car this morning, drove it into work, dropped off my passenger, but passenger was unable to get the door open from the inside of the car, though I could open it from the outside just fine. I drove off, got to work, parked, and at lunch time got back in my car to see if there was something blocking the door from opening from within. Nothing. Even manually unlocking the door, it's almost as if the car doesn't recognize that the lock is open....there's no click, nothing. I tried playing with the electric lock buttons, and they worked once or twice, then stopped working altogether! Seatbelts also stopped working, alarm was stuck on (no flashing) and car wouldn't start once again...just like before! I can call CSAA to get the car restarted, but I think this is a bigger problem, because I'm pretty sure it's not caused by me leaving anything on or open, etc.

So...any thoughts? Could it be the fuses blowing? Or a door switch problem? Any help would be great, thanks! Please e-mail me with your ideas... or reply to the message.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2006, 07:29 PM
bearcatdon bearcatdon is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 301
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Help! 99 sebring convert. door /electrical problem!

Is this your original battery? Probably time for a new one. I'd say you have a bad battery/battery connection or alternator. Bring the vehicle to an auto parts store like auto zone and they can quickly diagnose both items. They will even change out the battery for you if that's the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Legendkiller Legendkiller is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Help! 99 sebring convert. door /electrical problem!

Ya. mostly like a Battery problem or Alternator since it works for a little once the car is jumped
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-06-2006, 10:58 AM
RoseNoire RoseNoire is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Help! 99 sebring convert. door /electrical problem!

Thanks for the responses...it's not the battery or the alternator. It's also not the car alarm system. Had all of these things checked out yesterday. Battery is new, top of the line...alternator is tight...and there were no shorts or wiring probs detected in the alarm system.
Do you think, since these probs have seemed to coincide with the door not being able to open, that maybe it could be just that the door switch is not working properly which is leaving the dome light on and draining the battery? I dunno...I'm going to take it to the local Chrysler dealership to see what's up with the door...and see if they can figure it out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-06-2006, 07:08 PM
bearcatdon bearcatdon is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 301
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Help! 99 sebring convert. door /electrical problem!

Your power locks may be getting shorted out which would kill your battery and not function. Something is definitely shorted if your battery and alternator are ok and nothing appears to be on. I wish you luck, shorts can sometimes be expensive to track down.. Hopefully, they will find it quickly being that shops charge a flat rate on electrical issues. Keep us informed.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-10-2006, 10:25 AM
RoseNoire RoseNoire is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Help! 99 sebring convert. door /electrical problem!

Took it to a second shop...they checked everything once again, including the stereo. Couldn't find anything They thought possibly the ignition switch is going bad, but probably not enough to cause that kind of drain...same for the stereo. They said without being able to duplicate the prob, there's nothing much they could do right now, and that I should bring it back when it's dying on a consistent basis. Grrrrrr. At least all the service has been super cheap so far, so that's at least good.
Bearcatdon, I'm going to test your idea by not using the power locks or remote keyless entry for a couple of weeks...cause I tend to agree with you that that might be part of the prob. So...we'll see, I guess. Thanks for all your advice
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-10-2006, 10:28 AM
RoseNoire RoseNoire is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Help! 99 sebring convert. door /electrical problem!

Oh, I also got the door fixed...something about a rod having become unattached. But they doubted that would be the cause of the battery drain probs.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts