-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-03-2006, 07:16 AM
jessicaizi jessicaizi is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Engine Problems--Please Help

I have a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass and a night ago everything with the car was PERFECT. I drove a 1000 mile trip to move down to VA, and didn't have any problems. The next day, I drove the car for about a half an hour and didn't have any problems, either.

This morning, I get up to go to work, and go to start the car, and everything works on the car (lights, radio, etc...) but the engine only makes a 'clicking' sound when I go to start it. There is NO other sound beside the clicking.

The clicking sounds like it is coming from the dash, so at first I thought perhaps it was a fuse; but, that seems too easy.

I had a 1991 Cutlass in the past and it had alternator problems, but I could actually start the car then and it would stall out. I did not have any of the same symptoms with this, the car just decided to not start this morning.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-03-2006, 11:27 AM
GTP Dad GTP Dad is offline
Pontiac Guy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,441
Thanks: 2
Thanked 82 Times in 78 Posts
Re: Engine Problems--Please Help

Welcome to AF! There are several possibilities. There is a relay under the dash that sends power to the starter this could have gone bad. Another is that the Battery has gone bad and does not have the voltage to start the car even though the other accessories work. Try jumping the car to see what happens. Another is a bad wire to the starter. Finally, does you car have a security system aka Passlock system? If so this could be the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-03-2006, 04:55 PM
theragtopguy theragtopguy is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Engine Problems--Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaizi
I have a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass and a night ago everything with the car was PERFECT. I drove a 1000 mile trip to move down to VA, and didn't have any problems. The next day, I drove the car for about a half an hour and didn't have any problems, either.

This morning, I get up to go to work, and go to start the car, and everything works on the car (lights, radio, etc...) but the engine only makes a 'clicking' sound when I go to start it. There is NO other sound beside the clicking.

The clicking sounds like it is coming from the dash, so at first I thought perhaps it was a fuse; but, that seems too easy.

I had a 1991 Cutlass in the past and it had alternator problems, but I could actually start the car then and it would stall out. I did not have any of the same symptoms with this, the car just decided to not start this morning.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Try crawling under the car and giving the starter a whack with a hammer. What happens is the carbon brushes inside the starter will hang up as they start to wear out preventing the starting circuit from being completed. If this is your problem, you will need a new starter or to get the one you have rebuilt, that's what I do because I don't trust those shitty rebuilt ones you get from Pep Boys or whatever. Find a good shop that rebuilds them and 'git 'er done!'

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts