-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-25-2005, 12:04 AM
MagicRat's Avatar
MagicRat MagicRat is offline
Nothing scares me anymore
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,702
Thanks: 12
Thanked 82 Times in 77 Posts
strange '80 Camaro

Hi,
I have owned many strange cars over the years, but now am looking at my first Camaro.

It is a base model 1980, in good condition, 77 k miles and has a 305 with a 4 spd. manual.

Does this driveline combination seem a bit unusual/rare to you? I have never seen anything other than a Z-28 with a 4 spd, (and even then the autos seemed more popular)

Also, any idea what the trans might be, an M20, M21 or M22, or something else? If it's an M20, are these transmissions any weaker than the other Muncie transmissions?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Rally Sport's Avatar
Rally Sport Rally Sport is offline
Is eating.
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,019
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Rally Sport Send a message via MSN to Rally Sport
Eh.. that car sounds great, I wouldnt mind having a Z with 4 on the floor.

Anyway I just read up on it and it seems that autos were only avaliable to California only, and everywhere else they sold manuals along with autos. So your Maro seems legit.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-25-2005, 12:17 AM
bag91's Avatar
bag91 bag91 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: strange '80 Camaro

Only autos in Cali.....weird
__________________

91 RS Camaro V8 305 TBI
cold/ram 14"/3" open element
K/N filter
3.73's
B&M Megashifter
180 thermostat
Flowtech TERMINATOR Exhaust
3" exhaust cutout
Silvania Silverstar Headlights
Ronal R15 Firehawk Wheels
Hankook Ventus Sport (front)
Sumitomo HTR+ (rear)
275/40ZR 17 all around...
_____________________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-25-2005, 12:27 AM
FormulaLT1's Avatar
FormulaLT1 FormulaLT1 is offline
Fight the powwa!!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,521
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to FormulaLT1 Send a message via MSN to FormulaLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to FormulaLT1
Re: strange '80 Camaro

Yup, you got a 155 Horse LG4 305 and there were two 4 speed's used that year. A saginaw and a warner. Not sure which one you got though.
__________________
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart.


Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Rally Sport's Avatar
Rally Sport Rally Sport is offline
Is eating.
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,019
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Rally Sport Send a message via MSN to Rally Sport
Re: Re: strange '80 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag91
Only autos in Cali.....weird
Hoping to improve fuel economy, the 1980 Camaro featured an anemic engine line-up which included a new Chevy odd-fire 229 V6 rated at 115bhp (a Buick even-fire 231 V6 rated at 110bhp was available in California) which replaced the venerable and heavy L6 engines, and a new 267 V8 rated at a pathetic 120bhp. Power for Z28 models actually increased as the 350 V8 was rated at 190 bhp, except for California buyers who received a 305 V8 rated at 155bhp which was mated to a standard three-speed automatic (no manual transmission was available). Due to the fuel crisis, sales dropped dramatically to 152,005 units.

Thats what I read.. so, yeah.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-25-2005, 12:34 AM
bag91's Avatar
bag91 bag91 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: strange '80 Camaro

nice reading Rally......
__________________

91 RS Camaro V8 305 TBI
cold/ram 14"/3" open element
K/N filter
3.73's
B&M Megashifter
180 thermostat
Flowtech TERMINATOR Exhaust
3" exhaust cutout
Silvania Silverstar Headlights
Ronal R15 Firehawk Wheels
Hankook Ventus Sport (front)
Sumitomo HTR+ (rear)
275/40ZR 17 all around...
_____________________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-25-2005, 12:45 AM
FormulaLT1's Avatar
FormulaLT1 FormulaLT1 is offline
Fight the powwa!!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,521
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to FormulaLT1 Send a message via MSN to FormulaLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to FormulaLT1
Re: strange '80 Camaro

The corvette that year which was a standard 350 for all of them was not allowed to use the 350 in Cali. They had to use the 305 engine for the corvettes sold in cali. Just a little bonus info I picked up back when I was a corvette owner
__________________
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart.


Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-25-2005, 12:49 AM
bag91's Avatar
bag91 bag91 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: strange '80 Camaro

a 305 corvette?????
what were the number on that?
__________________

91 RS Camaro V8 305 TBI
cold/ram 14"/3" open element
K/N filter
3.73's
B&M Megashifter
180 thermostat
Flowtech TERMINATOR Exhaust
3" exhaust cutout
Silvania Silverstar Headlights
Ronal R15 Firehawk Wheels
Hankook Ventus Sport (front)
Sumitomo HTR+ (rear)
275/40ZR 17 all around...
_____________________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-25-2005, 12:52 AM
FormulaLT1's Avatar
FormulaLT1 FormulaLT1 is offline
Fight the powwa!!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,521
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to FormulaLT1 Send a message via MSN to FormulaLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to FormulaLT1
Re: strange '80 Camaro

180 horse.
__________________
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart.


Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-25-2005, 12:54 AM
Rally Sport's Avatar
Rally Sport Rally Sport is offline
Is eating.
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,019
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Rally Sport Send a message via MSN to Rally Sport
Damn, thats pretty bad. Damn fuel crisis totally messing up power ratings.. hope we dont go through another one although it seemed like we almost were this year.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-25-2005, 04:18 AM
Savage Messiah's Avatar
Savage Messiah Savage Messiah is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,690
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Savage Messiah Send a message via Yahoo to Savage Messiah
Re: strange '80 Camaro

long live the buick 231!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
97 Camaro - 2.077 60', 14.745 @ 92.20 - still down, one year later.

194k miles-160* thermo-V8 shocks/springs (V6 rear springs)-3" Magnaflow !cat (3" dynomax bullet) back-SLP CAI-stock boxed LCAs-poly tranny mount and torque arm bushing-custom HPTuners tuning-4.10s/eaton/TA girdle-3.5" alum DS-spohn LCA brackets-prostar skinnies

179.75 RWHP, 204.52 RWTQ

ON ITS WAY: MORE

R.I.P. Andy

87 Benz 190e - DD

01 EX250 - still gotta get my license for this thing
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-25-2005, 04:36 AM
FormulaLT1's Avatar
FormulaLT1 FormulaLT1 is offline
Fight the powwa!!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,521
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to FormulaLT1 Send a message via MSN to FormulaLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to FormulaLT1
Re: strange '80 Camaro

If you listen real close. You can almost hear our friend Andy/Hypsi say amen from heaven.
__________________
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart.


Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-25-2005, 11:35 PM
MagicRat's Avatar
MagicRat MagicRat is offline
Nothing scares me anymore
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,702
Thanks: 12
Thanked 82 Times in 77 Posts
Re: strange '80 Camaro

Thank you for the help, guys.
I'll let the owner look at it for another few weeks before making an offer.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-25-2005, 11:47 PM
97cavalier's Avatar
97cavalier 97cavalier is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,865
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: strange '80 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat
Thank you for the help, guys.
I'll let the owner look at it for another few weeks before making an offer.
even with the fuel problems in starting i the 80's how can a v8 only have 180hp? Because i was going to get a 87 t/a untill i saw the hp. How can they get these #'s so low?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-25-2005, 11:58 PM
97cavalier's Avatar
97cavalier 97cavalier is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,865
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: strange '80 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cavalier
even with the fuel problems in starting i the 80's how can a v8 only have 180hp? Because i was going to get a 87 t/a untill i saw the hp. How can they get these #'s so low?
And why does california have such gay laws about there emissions?
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts