-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Duncan1 Duncan1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
96 Wagon load level

On our 96 wagon with the load leveling system the rear end seems to be just a bit high. Is there anything that can be adjusted on it?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-14-2006, 05:39 PM
bocoogto bocoogto is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile Re: 96 Wagon load level

The sensing arm is near the rear axle and not adjustable. You can, however, drill a new hole to mount the swivel ball for the sensor about 3/8" lower in the control arm so the car will set lower.

To remove the plastic swivel end from the ball, use a little screwdriver and pry the plastic retainer sideways to open the ball. This allows easy removal and relocation of the swivel ball. Simply snap on the plastic end and squeeze shut the plastic end you had pried open.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-03-2006, 08:17 AM
94Roadywagon's Avatar
94Roadywagon 94Roadywagon is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 96 Wagon load level

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocoogto
The sensing arm is near the rear axle and not adjustable. You can, however, drill a new hole to mount the swivel ball for the sensor about 3/8" lower in the control arm so the car will set lower.

To remove the plastic swivel end from the ball, use a little screwdriver and pry the plastic retainer sideways to open the ball. This allows easy removal and relocation of the swivel ball. Simply snap on the plastic end and squeeze shut the plastic end you had pried open.

Good Luck!
I need to adjust my level control. I was looking at my load level sensor and I see a box with a lever arm coming out of it. The end of the arm is attached to a rod with plastic swivel fittings that are attached by a bolt on each end. The other end of the rod is attached to a bracket on the rear axle. I am not sure I know what you mean by the swivel ball. Are you saying to pry apart the swivel fittings?
I have a 94 Roadmaster. Are my fittings different than the 96?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 AM
bocoogto bocoogto is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 96 Wagon load level

The plastic female ball end will come apart if you insert a small screwdriver into the plastic body where there is a seam. The swivel will then come off the ball and you can remove the ball, drill a new hole at the desired height. You may want to make a series of holes at this time.

It's good you have it working!

Dick
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-04-2006, 07:02 AM
94Roadywagon's Avatar
94Roadywagon 94Roadywagon is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 96 Wagon load level

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocoogto
The plastic female ball end will come apart if you insert a small screwdriver into the plastic body where there is a seam. The swivel will then come off the ball and you can remove the ball, drill a new hole at the desired height. You may want to make a series of holes at this time.

It's good you have it working!

Dick
Thanks Dick,
I decided not to try to monkey with the plastic socket and ball so I removed the piece completely by unbolting it from the arm and the axle bracket. I pulled the two plastic swivels off of each end of the short metal rod and I found a piece of threaded rod slightly thicker and cut it so it was about 3/8" longer than the original rod and screwed this threaded rod into the 2 plastic swivels back onto each end. Now if I need to adjust the length I can just unbolt one end and screw it out to make it longer or screw it in to make it shorter. I ended up making it about 3/8" longer than the original length and that seems to work good. The level control will activate now if I put about a 150 lb. load in the back. BTW I saw your earlier post on how to test the system. This will be a great help if it ever goes out.

Patrick
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2006, 09:45 PM
bocoogto bocoogto is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 96 Wagon load level

Good idea! I might try that on my '93. I would actually like it a little higher than stock

Dick
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts