-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Jeepme Jeepme is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4.0 air intake system

I was thinking of adding a air intake system to my 95 4.0. You see all kinds of claims for horsepower boost. Are these systems better than the stock set up? Anyone had problems with this setup? What about throttle body spacers? What do they do? If I change to the aftermarket air intake, should I install a throttle body spacer also?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-19-2005, 10:58 AM
DIGITRUCK DIGITRUCK is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 83
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 4.0 air intake system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepme
I was thinking of adding a air intake system to my 95 4.0. You see all kinds of claims for horsepower boost. Are these systems better than the stock set up? Anyone had problems with this setup? What about throttle body spacers? What do they do? If I change to the aftermarket air intake, should I install a throttle body spacer also?

Hey Jeepme,


Yes, the CAI will give you a little more HP not much but it makes a nice whooshing sound! LOL I got one from Rusty's 4x4 and also changed the cat to a high flow and flowmaster muffler.

The TB Spacer is bogus it's just like that other one you see advertised called Tornado etc.

btw - Does your Jeep have the Closed or Open Rad System? I just changed mine and hopefully it will keep it cooler during Emissions Testing so I can have lower NOX and Pass!

Thx, Phil
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Ray H Ray H is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 560
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Theres a difference between a cold air system and an open element air intake. A cold air system isolates an area under the hood and draws cooler, denser outside air in. A simple open element system draws hot air from under the hood. I think the advantages of a simple open element are minimal if any. Probably the only advantage is a less restrictive air intake. I think the cold air intakes do help some.
Ive heard both good and bad about the spacers. As far as I can tell its about a 50/50 split on whether or not they help. Some have claimed that they whistle badly. Theyre supposed to increase throttle response and the ones with rifleing machined into them are supposed to mix the fuel/air better. Thats a bogus claim on a MPI engine as there is no air/fuel to mix until well past the spacer. Same goes for the Tornado.
Bare in mind, I dont have personal experience with an open element or cold air intake or spacer because I personally dont buy into them. Its alot of money for maybe 5 or 10 HP, and what for, so I can get home from work 1 second faster. Ive got better things to do with $300-$400.
EDIT; It looks like you could pickup a open air intake and spacer for about $250-$300, Not as bad as I thought but still alot.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Jeepme Jeepme is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess the aftermarket air intake does fall under the "if it sounds too good to be true it is too good to be true" category. It seems like everywhere you look people are putting them on all kinds of vehicles. Must be the cool wooshing sound. There's nothing wrong with the performance of the 4.0 six anyway. With the 5 speed stick it's one of the quickest sixes I've ever driven. I'm sure I can find a better use for the cash.

Phil- Check out the emissions post for more on the NOX.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts