-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-14-2005, 06:12 PM
inatalonIXLR8 inatalonIXLR8 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 400
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Using the e-brake with an AWD

I used to love sliding around everywhere with my first gen 91 Talon. It was only a non-turbo but was so predictable and easy to keep under control in the snow. Now I have a 2G turbo AWD that takes corners even better. I'll always manipulate the throttle to negotiate a corner, but I really would love to use the e-brake. Does it cause damage to the drive train? Thanks.
__________________
95 Talon Tsi AWD 5spd
2.4L4G64 6bolt JE8.5EagleTorqueplatedFully ballanced-balanceshaftARP Ferrea1mm 1Ghead ported/polished HKS264/272 fidanzagears turbonetics copy polished GT3076R VbandTial38mm cometic prothane mounts SARD850 stage4 Compclutch+flywheel 3"exh Walbro255 rewired Innovate wideband O2 ForgeBOV Autronic standalone innovative wideband[url=http://img494.imageshack.us/my.php?image=talonandhelicopter5as.jpg]
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-14-2005, 06:17 PM
SmicAA72
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Using the e-brake with an AWD

Uh, I wouldn't do it. I'm sure it doesn't fit into the "taking care of your car," portion.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-14-2005, 06:31 PM
david-b's Avatar
david-b david-b is offline
Dave is THAT guy
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,868
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b
Just don't do it.
__________________
2013 Chevy Sonic 1LZ
Daily Driver, 1.4L Turbo, 6spd

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-14-2005, 06:50 PM
MexRocket's Avatar
MexRocket MexRocket is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,386
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Using the e-brake with an AWD

do it as often as possible, i heard if you don't do that in the winter that your e-brake lines freeze and catch on fire if you dont...
__________________
STATUS: Near completion for the Engine
PROJECT BEST 1G IN IL:70% Done
MODS: C2 boost,mbc,B16GEGTurbo,12x28x3x3 FMIC,Ported2gmani,k&n.
Being bought in two weeks: Dsmlink,880's,3"exhaust,piping,suspension,axel,dri lled and slotted brakes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-14-2005, 06:51 PM
MexRocket's Avatar
MexRocket MexRocket is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,386
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Using the e-brake with an AWD

on a serious note, that is bad for not only your brakes but your tires as well... and why the hell would you sure your e-brake for taking a corner? its not like you are taking a 90 degree turn going 65 mph..... but if it is non turbo do it all you want
__________________
STATUS: Near completion for the Engine
PROJECT BEST 1G IN IL:70% Done
MODS: C2 boost,mbc,B16GEGTurbo,12x28x3x3 FMIC,Ported2gmani,k&n.
Being bought in two weeks: Dsmlink,880's,3"exhaust,piping,suspension,axel,dri lled and slotted brakes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Thor06's Avatar
Thor06 Thor06 is offline
Jizzed In My Pants
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,549
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Using the e-brake with an AWD

Yeah, I wouldnt imagine it would be real great on the drive train. I'd get a beater to drift if I were you, your car is far to sexy to fuck up .
__________________



Build on hold until I get a good paying job, either in school or once I get out. At that time a full tear down and complete rebuild should be in order.

The Purple People Eater will ride again... January 2011 can't come soon enough.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Blackcrow64's Avatar
Blackcrow64 Blackcrow64 is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 9,621
Thanks: 52
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Re: Using the e-brake with an AWD

I was actually told that we could do that with our AWDs... I can't remember what it was, but something about the drivetrain being able to slip the differential I think... Don't quote me on that though, I could have very well been told wrong. (and I haven't tried it either. lol)
__________________
-Brian
  • 92 Firebird sold
  • 97 Talon TSI AWD sold
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06 sold
  • 14 Silverado 1500
  • 26 Equinox RS
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-14-2005, 09:14 PM
AbsoluteGTR's Avatar
AbsoluteGTR AbsoluteGTR is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to AbsoluteGTR Send a message via MSN to AbsoluteGTR
Re: Using the e-brake with an AWD

Well I have a cavalier, and I constantly pull the e-brake, only when it is wet though...I wont pull it going like 60 mph, only like 15-20 mph...

I usually do it with my friends in the car...The funnest part is when it is just drizzling with rain, and I yank up the handbrake and go drifting into my driveway...

Hey, Thor, you and I should love our cavaliers (I have a 2002 4dr black)..OMG they can take SO but SO much shit... I beat the hell out of that cavalier and it is my daily driver, GOD BLESS that car.

Anyways, I wouldnt be pulling the e-brake in an AWD, especially if the car (ex: eclipse) has just one single (center) differential. Unless what blackcrow says is true!

MY PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

***Make sure you know what you are doing when you attempt to drift or whatever, I have practiced many a time, and know my cavalier very well, so I feel confident as to what I am doing, plus I have ABS...furthermore, never do it around people***
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Moppie's Avatar
Moppie Moppie is offline
Master Connector
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 11,781
Thanks: 95
Thanked 101 Times in 80 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: Using the e-brake with an AWD

What a boring bunch of pansies.

Your car has a centre diff, use the damn Hand brake and enjoy driving while your still young and stupid enough to.
__________________
Connecting the Auto Enthusiasts
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Blackcrow64's Avatar
Blackcrow64 Blackcrow64 is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 9,621
Thanks: 52
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Re: Re: Using the e-brake with an AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteGTR
Unless what blackcrow says is true!
Like I said, don't quote me on that. lol

All I know is my one friend told me we could do that in the snow and it wouldn't hurt anything. I'm pretty sure our rear differentials allow slipping of the rear end. Like, each wheel can move at its own speed. I honestly don't know if thats right or not, but it seems like it would be true. I saw my friend do it several times in his and it works fine still... I'm too scared to try it though.
__________________
-Brian
  • 92 Firebird sold
  • 97 Talon TSI AWD sold
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06 sold
  • 14 Silverado 1500
  • 26 Equinox RS
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Moppie's Avatar
Moppie Moppie is offline
Master Connector
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 11,781
Thanks: 95
Thanked 101 Times in 80 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: Using the e-brake with an AWD

Good lord you guys need to learn some very basic technical knowledge.
I thought these were performance cars, an American basterdisation of the FTO platform, EVO/GSR Lancer drive train and some American styling?



You have a differential on each set of drive wheels that allows the wheel on each side of the car to turn at differnt speeds, and you have another one between each axle, which allows the front and rear wheels to turn at differnt speeds.

You can quite safely and easily lock one set of drive wheels, or just one drive wheel for a short period of time and one or more of the differentials will transfer power to the unlocked wheels.
(note, doing this for a sustrained period of time will destroy one or more of the differentials by over heating it).

Pulling the handbrake as you enter a corner will not cause your car to implode or self destruct, it will simple stop the back wheels from turning and alter balance of grip accross the chassis, hopefully causeing the back to slide out.
You can then let off the handbrake and start to acclerate resulting in a rapid change of direction.
Hopefully its in the direction you wanted to go, and not into a tree, but thats half the fun.
__________________
Connecting the Auto Enthusiasts
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Blackcrow64's Avatar
Blackcrow64 Blackcrow64 is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 9,621
Thanks: 52
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Re: Using the e-brake with an AWD

Ahhh so I was on the right path then?
__________________
-Brian
  • 92 Firebird sold
  • 97 Talon TSI AWD sold
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06 sold
  • 14 Silverado 1500
  • 26 Equinox RS
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-14-2005, 09:48 PM
milton666's Avatar
milton666 milton666 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 268
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to milton666
Re: Using the e-brake with an AWD

lol, i really dont think ive ever made a u-turn or pulled into a drive way without pulling the old e-brake, ive got this one friend that lives on a curve and ive got it work out perfectly to where i come in around 20-25 rip on that bitch and slide sideways around the turn perfectly up into his driveway... stupid story short ive been pulling the e-brake on my car for over a year and only prob i have is worn out back tires...im also not AWD so i dont even know if this thread really applies to me...just my thoughts
__________________
95' Gs-t (broke the fuck down...)

68' Mustang getting reassembled right now, 82.763% done


http://www.tagworld.com/milton666
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-14-2005, 10:09 PM
AbsoluteGTR's Avatar
AbsoluteGTR AbsoluteGTR is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to AbsoluteGTR Send a message via MSN to AbsoluteGTR
Re: Re: Using the e-brake with an AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie
Good lord you guys need to learn some very basic technical knowledge.
I thought these were performance cars, an American basterdisation of the FTO platform, EVO/GSR Lancer drive train and some American styling?



You have a differential on each set of drive wheels that allows the wheel on each side of the car to turn at differnt speeds, and you have another one between each axle, which allows the front and rear wheels to turn at differnt speeds.

You can quite safely and easily lock one set of drive wheels, or just one drive wheel for a short period of time and one or more of the differentials will transfer power to the unlocked wheels.
(note, doing this for a sustrained period of time will destroy one or more of the differentials by over heating it).

Pulling the handbrake as you enter a corner will not cause your car to implode or self destruct, it will simple stop the back wheels from turning and alter balance of grip accross the chassis, hopefully causeing the back to slide out.
You can then let off the handbrake and start to acclerate resulting in a rapid change of direction.
Hopefully its in the direction you wanted to go, and not into a tree, but thats half the fun.
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH, the most important part is to not hit the tree, j/k, lol. But, I think we (should have) all knew that already!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Thor06's Avatar
Thor06 Thor06 is offline
Jizzed In My Pants
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,549
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Using the e-brake with an AWD

Shit, I e-brake the Cavy, only in the snow though, not wanting to break something overshadows the thrill I get from drifting (Cavaliers arent exactly "performance" cars and I dont think a lot of the parts were made well enough to take a bunch of shit). I was out screwing around after some snow got good and packed down one day. I hit this corner at like 25 and slid it good, so I turned around and was goign to hit it again. I went in a little faster, around 35, and I accidentally held the e-brake on too long and did a 180 around the corner and slid into a snow bank. My friend Anthony had to get out a push. Its a good thing I wasnt going any faster, I was about a foot from a tree. If I had a DSM, I doubt I would e-brake it unless it was a beat up 1g.
__________________



Build on hold until I get a good paying job, either in school or once I get out. At that time a full tear down and complete rebuild should be in order.

The Purple People Eater will ride again... January 2011 can't come soon enough.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts