-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-13-2005, 09:28 AM
TheDeal526 TheDeal526 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Timing Belt/Chain???

OK, I have the 1989 Thunderbird with the Standard V6/3.8.

I just had a couple questions about the timing belt or chain. The first is, does this vehicle have a timing belt or timing chain???

And I heard a general rule is to replace the timing belt/chain every 50,000 miles or 5 years. Right now I have a little over 157,000 miles and I only had my Bird for a little over a year. So I dont have a clue when the timing belt/chain was replaced last. Should I just replace it asap?

And last but not least, are these Birds prone to having timing belt/chain problems? I talked to one mechanic and he said with my car, I really wouldnt have to worry about the timing chain (timing chain is what he refered to it as, I'm not sure however if its a chain or belt). Now I can't imagine this part is so reliable that I wouldnt have to ever give it a second thought.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks.....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-13-2005, 10:44 AM
overl0rd overl0rd is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 222
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Timing Belt/Chain???

The 3.8 uses a timing chain. You really shouldn't have to worry about it if the car is running well, it will let you know when it needs replaced. A good way to tell is by shooting the timing, if it bounces around the timing chain is probably shot. Another way to tell is by rotating the crank back and forth by hand with the distributor cap off, watching the rotor. If it doesnt move as you're moving the crank then again there is a good chance theres a lot of slop in the timing chain and it will need replaced.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:13 AM
TheDeal526 TheDeal526 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Timing Belt/Chain???

overl0rd, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable. how difficult in your expert opinion would it be for an experienced mechanic to replace the timing chain? and how long should it take?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-13-2005, 07:01 PM
overl0rd overl0rd is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 222
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Timing Belt/Chain???

Not sure how many labor hours are called for, but I'll look into it. As for the job itself, its fairly involved since you'd need to basically strip the front of the motor, including pulling the balancer and dropping the oil pan.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-13-2005, 09:20 PM
TheDeal526 TheDeal526 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Timing Belt/Chain???

I'm planning on asking my mechanic how difficult a job that would be for him. I wanted to just replace the timing chain, but if its to involved, and if its not a part i really need worry myself over, I may reconsider those plans, at least until after winter has passed.

I may just have him inspect it the way you suggested overl0rd.

Thanks.....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-13-2005, 09:23 PM
TheDeal526 TheDeal526 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Timing Belt/Chain???

One last question, what would be the signs of a faulty or failing timing chain????
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:01 PM
overl0rd overl0rd is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 222
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Timing Belt/Chain???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeal526
One last question, what would be the signs of a faulty or failing timing chain????
If the chain has a lot of slop in it, it will make the cam timing erratic which will in turn make ignition timing erratic which equates to a rough running mobile. If it fails completely the crank and cam not turn together which can turn ugly. Again, if its running well I wouldnt worry too much about it.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts