-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - New/New Beetle Convertible
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-03-2005, 04:58 PM
postal65 postal65 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Coolant Light keep coming on

Can some one HELP! my 1999 Beetle's Coolant light keeps coming on! It can go for days and even as long as a week and then it starts coming on while im driving. I have check the coolant level and its fine! I have checked all the fuse and they are fine! I have check all the hoses and they are also fine. I am conveinced that it is the senor, so I have removed it. I THIS A BAD THING????
What else could it be????

Last edited by postal65; 12-07-2005 at 10:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-05-2005, 11:06 AM
felicianne6 felicianne6 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Coolant Light keep coming on

Hi, I think I'm having a similar problem as you are. Mine is a 99, and whenever I turn on the car and start driving, the coolant light beeps 3 times and flashes for about 5 minutes. It goes away, but sometimes it'll come back and beep another three times at me. I have not a clue about cars, but I had my oil changed last week and he says the coolant levels and all other fluid levels are fine. When you took the sensor out, did the problem cease?



Quote:
Originally Posted by postal65
Can some one HELP! my 1997 Beetle's Coolant light keeps coming on! It can go for days and even as long as a week and then it starts coming on while im driving. I have check the coolant level and its fine! I have checked all the fuse and they are fine! I have check all the hoses and they are also fine. I am conveinced that it is the senor, so I have removed it. I THIS A BAD THING????
What else could it be????
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-06-2005, 09:55 AM
postal65 postal65 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Coolant Light keep coming on

It didn't stop the problem the darn thing still beeps! I don't know what else to do. I even put in some of that powder that is for leak and so far it has not beeped in two days. So i don't really know if that has solve the porblem. I do know that for where I can see it does not seem like it may have leaks, but I'm getting a little despret, so I'm will to try anything to make it stop.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-06-2005, 09:19 PM
veedubmechanic's Avatar
veedubmechanic veedubmechanic is offline
VDUBMAN
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,374
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
vw doesnt make 97 beetle. only 98+

could be the ect (coolant temp sensor) its a blue square 4pin connector on the coolant flange under the oil cap on side of cylinder head. THey most commonly go bad.

with the engine running check to see if there is any coolant flowing into the resivour. If there isnt any flow than your water pump is faulty.
__________________
ASE Master certified and VW certified. Just here to help
all check engine light codes ------>
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=328630
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-07-2005, 10:21 AM
postal65 postal65 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Coolant Light keep coming on

Your Right it was my Typo. I have a 1999

Thanks, I will check the coolant temp sensor.

However how do I check to see if the coolant is flowing?

Where do i look?

What resivour?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Blackbeetle Blackbeetle is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Coolant Light keep coming on

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal65
Your Right it was my Typo. I have a 1999

Thanks, I will check the coolant temp sensor.

However how do I check to see if the coolant is flowing?

Where do i look?

What resivour?
Get the car up to operating temp. and put your hand on the upper and lower rad hoses, If coolant is flowing they will be hot , if not the upper will be hot only next to the head and the lower close to the thermostat housing. The little spherical tank up near the firewall under the pass. side fender is your coolant overflow and reserve tank. There is a hose coming in to the top, check for a colored waterfall. (don't open it hot !!!)

I just had this same problem , the plastic waterpump impeller was in many pieces in my case. It is driven by the timing belt so prepare for major work.Buy an aftermarket pump with a cast iron impeller and a new timing belt and belt tensioner if you are really rich(I didn't change mine)
You need a special tool or circlip pliers (good ones) to reset the tensioner) Get a manual like a Haynes because the job is much better accomplished with pictures and instructions, I was under the car for 7 hours.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - New/New Beetle Convertible


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts