-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-27-2005, 11:12 PM
allmightyone allmightyone is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GrandmaMobile will not accelerate!!!!

This has not been a good Thanksgiving weekend for me. I woke up Thursday morning to drive home from a friend's place, and found that my car was not running properly. It would start, but would not accelerate at any reasonable speed. Imangine taking five minutes to get up to 30mph on the road...just not great. I thought that maybe at the time I just had not warmed up the car (which I should never have to do living in Florida) beacuse it was a little "chilly" that day, maybe it just needed gas which I stopped for first thing. After going through my day (work, then to mom's, then out for drinks) the car ran fine and the "Servive Engine Soon" and "Low Trac" lights all turned off. Parked my car Thursday night and did not drive again till Friday night...when the problem came back. The lights back on and car refusing to accelerate and run properly. I thought then to check the oil and such and maybe that it was a "warm-up" problem that had suddenly came on. So Saturday daytime I warmed it up and looked under the hood for a bit to find it AGAIN behaving normal afer maybe 20-30 minutes. Then the fun happened late Saturday night when pulling into my place to sleep...lights back on and car back to not running! AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! Good thing I have a friend who knows a little about cars like how to check all fluids and such, so she got under my hood today and checked it out. Thought maybe the transmission fluid was low, which would maybe explain why it didn't accelerate. After leaving her place though the car did not get better...and found me driving back to mom's then to work today feeling like a little old grandmother with angry drivers behind me screaming. I have looked everywhere I can think of in the car, and also online for help. Unfortunately there are not even sites that will map out the engine for you of the Alero or that answer any questions. What do I do though??? My car is not able to go any sort of speed, and I have bacically been throwing away money just to go from one place to another due to how fast the gas is going from trying to rev the engine. RPM's will increase...but car moves slowly!


By the way this is the 99 Alero V6 Twin Cam Engine with just over 100K. Owned for maybe three months. I had just had an oil change maybe two weeks ago.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-28-2005, 08:58 AM
GTP Dad GTP Dad is offline
Pontiac Guy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,441
Thanks: 2
Thanked 82 Times in 78 Posts
Re: GrandmaMobile will not accelerate!!!!

The first thing you need to do is to get the computer scanned to see what is actually going on. Based on your description that the engine revs but the car doesn't move I think you will find that you have a transmission issue that unfortunately will not be cheap to repair. Sorry for the bad news.

Welcome to AF!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-30-2005, 03:44 PM
PotIsYourFriend PotIsYourFriend is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 306
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: GrandmaMobile will not accelerate!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmightyone
This has not been a good Thanksgiving weekend for me. I woke up Thursday morning to drive home from a friend's place, and found that my car was not running properly. It would start, but would not accelerate at any reasonable speed. Imangine taking five minutes to get up to 30mph on the road...just not great. I thought that maybe at the time I just had not warmed up the car (which I should never have to do living in Florida) beacuse it was a little "chilly" that day, maybe it just needed gas which I stopped for first thing. After going through my day (work, then to mom's, then out for drinks) the car ran fine and the "Servive Engine Soon" and "Low Trac" lights all turned off. Parked my car Thursday night and did not drive again till Friday night...when the problem came back. The lights back on and car refusing to accelerate and run properly. I thought then to check the oil and such and maybe that it was a "warm-up" problem that had suddenly came on. So Saturday daytime I warmed it up and looked under the hood for a bit to find it AGAIN behaving normal afer maybe 20-30 minutes. Then the fun happened late Saturday night when pulling into my place to sleep...lights back on and car back to not running! AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! Good thing I have a friend who knows a little about cars like how to check all fluids and such, so she got under my hood today and checked it out. Thought maybe the transmission fluid was low, which would maybe explain why it didn't accelerate. After leaving her place though the car did not get better...and found me driving back to mom's then to work today feeling like a little old grandmother with angry drivers behind me screaming. I have looked everywhere I can think of in the car, and also online for help. Unfortunately there are not even sites that will map out the engine for you of the Alero or that answer any questions. What do I do though??? My car is not able to go any sort of speed, and I have bacically been throwing away money just to go from one place to another due to how fast the gas is going from trying to rev the engine. RPM's will increase...but car moves slowly!


By the way this is the 99 Alero V6 Twin Cam Engine with just over 100K. Owned for maybe three months. I had just had an oil change maybe two weeks ago.



Will the car in park while running in neutral, will the RPMS go up and down when you depress the gas or rev like nothings wrong? But as soon as you put it in gear start messing up once you apply gas? If so it might be like my car and need the MAF replaced... It's the grill like thing that is connected to the intake manifold.. But get it scanned first because it's not cheap..........
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts