-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-27-2005, 10:12 PM
attackdog attackdog is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Battery gauge fluxuation???

hi all:
I have been noticing a possible voltage issue in my 2001 Yukon. When it idles or when I slow down to stop I notice that my voltage goes down to around 10volts then goes back to 14/15 volts. I have a new battery, belts, tensioner, and had the alternater checked and it is fine. What gives? I also have subs and an amp with a 1farad cap. I still notice when the bass hits the lights still dim. Could it be a bad cap? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-28-2005, 04:15 PM
94 Jimmy 94 Jimmy is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 180
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Battery gauge fluxuation???

Unlike the older generators, alternators will provide some power even at low speed. However below around 1000 RPM engine speed their output drops off, and with your power hungry electronics you might not be making enough power at idle, which means that the battery has to make up the difference.
Your comment about the voltage sagging to 10V leads me to think that you may indeed have an alternator on the way out. A fully charged battery should be about 12.6 volts, when it drops to 10 volts it's either undercharged or under extreme load.
Try the following:
Turn off all of your electronic accessories, then start the engine and keep the RPM at 2000 for a minute or so. Then let the engine return to idle and check the voltage, it should be above 13V with no load.
Check the capacity of your alternator, generally Yukon's come with pretty heafty alternators, but you might need to install one with a higher capacity.
Another possibility is that one of the diodes in the alternator has gone bad. If it wasn't checked at full load it could produce power at speed but not as much as it is rated for, and at idle its output would sag.
It could also be a bad connection at the alternator which drops voltage as the output increases.
A good automotive electrical shop can tell you what your problem is, and perhaps it's worth the $$ to find out before you take out your new battery.

Good luck, let us know what you find
94
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-28-2005, 11:28 PM
erlthesqrl erlthesqrl is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I had the same problem with my 02 Yukon Denali, and it got progressively worse to where it begin to turn off as a came to stops and turned in to parking lots/ spots. So I took it in to the dealer and they said it was the throttle body I got back today and the battey gauge fluxuation went away. Maybe you have the same issue.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-01-2006, 01:02 AM
attackdog attackdog is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Battery gauge fluxuation???

erlthesqrl:
What was the problem with the throttle body and how did they fix it? I replaced the alternator with a new 140amp and I am still seeing the fluxuation. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-02-2006, 01:26 AM
erlthesqrl erlthesqrl is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Battery Fluxuation

Well, I didn't really ask what was wrong with it. They just told me that the battery fluxuation and my yukon cutting off when I'd make a turn in parking lots or stops at lights etc. was the throttle body going bad so they replaced it. I will ask them in the next few days and let you know what they exactly did, being that Im waiting on a driver sideview mirror because mine broke (defective mirrors/bad design in the folding mechanism).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-02-2006, 09:15 PM
attackdog attackdog is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Battery gauge fluxuation???

Thanks erlthesqrl:
I am going to clean mine out and see if that helps at all.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-2007, 08:39 PM
attackdog attackdog is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Battery gauge fluxuation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackdog
Thanks erlthesqrl:
I am going to clean mine out and see if that helps at all.
What type of results did you get with cleaning your TB? I have replaced the battery, alternator, and put an overdrive pulley in and still have problems. Also, how did you go about cleaning the TB? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-22-2007, 08:50 PM
corning_d3 corning_d3 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,731
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to corning_d3
Re: Battery gauge fluxuation???

Have you checked the voltage with a digital volt meter. You can't always trust the gauge. I figure all the dealership would do is turn up the idle about 100 RPM's. Those damn things idle at 500 RPM's in neutral, anyway. A little slow if you ask me..
__________________
2007 Certified DaimlerChrysler Service Technician...
True blue GM at heart.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-23-2007, 11:42 AM
attackdog attackdog is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Battery gauge fluxuation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by corning_d3
Have you checked the voltage with a digital volt meter. You can't always trust the gauge. I figure all the dealership would do is turn up the idle about 100 RPM's. Those damn things idle at 500 RPM's in neutral, anyway. A little slow if you ask me..
I have checked the voltage and it does drop to the 12v mark and then back up to the 14.5v. The alt is new and both batt/alt tested fine. How can you turn up the idle? I thought they idled a little low myself. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-23-2007, 06:52 PM
corning_d3 corning_d3 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,731
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to corning_d3
Re: Battery gauge fluxuation???

Most have a throttle stop screw located on the throttle body. If it's not hidden behind a plug.. They're usually torx.
__________________
2007 Certified DaimlerChrysler Service Technician...
True blue GM at heart.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > GMC > Yukon


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts