-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Geo > Tracker
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-22-2005, 10:22 AM
geebjen geebjen is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
92 Tracker Torque Converter No Lockup

I haven't had my 92 Tracker long, but I did notice it doesn't get
very good mileage and now that I've fixed some of the more major
problems I'm trying to work on this one.

I thought at first that the car must not have a lockup torque converter because I can tell it is still slipping at highway speeds and you never feel it lock up. But I've done some reading and it sounds like these should have a lockup converter, right?

So now the question is, what would cause the converter to not lockup?

BTW, the check engine light is on at the moment and I haven't been able to get it to blink a code for me yet......still working on that one....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-22-2005, 06:35 PM
dgee dgee is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 92 Tracker Torque Converter No Lockup

how much mileage on the car the engine light comes on automatically at 30,000 60000 and so on
also do you have three speed or four mine revs at about 4000 rpm for 70 mph and gas mileage is about 23 to 25 if i baby the truck at 55 to 60 it get about 26 to 28 mpg.to turn off light look by left speaker under dash there is a on off switch.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-22-2005, 09:47 PM
geebjen geebjen is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: 92 Tracker Torque Converter No Lockup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgee
how much mileage on the car the engine light comes on automatically at 30,000 60000
It has about 139,000, and the light has been on since I got it about 2k ago. I'll look for that reset button or switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgee
do you have three speed or four mine revs at about 4000 rpm for 70 mph
It's the 3 speed. Revs about 4000 at 65 MPH. The difference between yours and mine sounds about right considering my converter isn't locking up. I'll bet if you drive 65 you'll be revving say 3600-3700 but if you tap the brake to dis-engage the lockup you'll rev to 4000 too briefly until the converter locks up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgee
gas mileage is about 23 to 25 if i baby the truck at 55 to 60 it get about 26 to 28 mpg
My mileage is about 20-22 tops......bet if I can get those 10% rpm back from the converter lockup I'll get 10% better mileage too.

Thanks for the help.......I'll try to post any progress I make.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-23-2005, 01:21 AM
dgee dgee is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 92 Tracker Torque Converter No Lockup

the torque converter is controled by the computer to my understanding in 89 to 94 they used a mitsubishi computer which is suppose to be inferior to mine the 95 which uses the suzuki computer. on mine there is a relay in engine compartment on the fender well coud check relay.
i usually go to the library and borrow their chilton manual helps alot.
.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-23-2005, 06:04 AM
geebjen geebjen is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: 92 Tracker Torque Converter No Lockup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgee
the torque converter is controled by the computer to my understanding in 89 to 94 they used a mitsubishi computer which is suppose to be inferior to mine the 95 which uses the suzuki computer. on mine there is a relay in engine compartment on the fender well coud check relay.
i usually go to the library and borrow their chilton manual helps alot.
.
Yeah, I have a Chilton and I've done some more internet research.
It looks like power goes through a 15A fuse, then through a switch on the brake pedal, then to that relay, then to the transmision. I'll start trying to debug when I get a chance and post any results....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-23-2005, 06:39 PM
dgee dgee is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 92 Tracker Torque Converter No Lockup

i checked it last night i rev 3000 to 3050 to go 55mph at 65 i rev about 3600.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-23-2005, 11:14 PM
geebjen geebjen is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed Engine Light....started TC debug

Well I pulled the speaker and found the switch and got the check engine light off !! Thanks the the tip.

I also checked and I have power to the brake switch for the tc lockup...but didn't get any further.........
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-25-2005, 03:09 PM
dgee dgee is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 92 Tracker Torque Converter No Lockup

it looks like the power for the relay comes from the ecm at a16 terminal then goes to the relay once activated the power to the clutch relay comes from the stop lamp switch so i would check the white/yellow wire to see if it has power once you get up to temperature and speed. i would put a light bulb 12v in line to see if the power from the ecm is coming on if it is the ecm should be ok then all you have left is the relay and if the relay is good then it could be inside tranny. you can check relay out of the car just put 12v pos on white and yellow connector and neg to the blu/black conector.and an ohm meter across the other two terminals to see if you got continuity
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-26-2005, 11:23 AM
geebjen geebjen is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 92 Tracker Torque Converter No Lockup

Thanks again for the help.

I've gotten as far as finding out that I have power from the brake switch to the relay....next step will be to see if I have power leaving the relay to the trans at crusing speed....I'll tap into the white wire leaving the relay and run it inside so I can check......I'll keep posting as I make progress.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-27-2005, 07:55 AM
geebjen geebjen is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 92 Tracker Torque Converter No Lockup

White wire to the trans has power once the car warms up a little, and it drops out when I tap the brake.

Next will be to crawl under the car and see if somebody disconnected the stuipid wire from the trans.....if its that easy I'll be pretty happy.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-29-2005, 12:15 PM
KaotiKCamaro5's Avatar
KaotiKCamaro5 KaotiKCamaro5 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,275
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to KaotiKCamaro5
Re: Re: 92 Tracker Torque Converter No Lockup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgee
to turn off light look by left speaker under dash there is a on off switch.
is there just a little switch for the newer trackers? i have a 96 and cant find it.. the check engine light is driving me nuts..
__________________

"doing that is like trying to sell porn to a 6 year old..... It's just wrong" - hypsi87

LE123456712: i promise i will stop filling your email with my boobs
Kieft125: lol.. good, its starting to get rediculous..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-29-2005, 05:08 PM
dgee dgee is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 92 Tracker Torque Converter No Lockup

on the 96 you have an obd 2 reader go to autozone if there is one around you they will read code for you and i think they can reset it sorrry no switch.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-05-2005, 11:13 AM
KaotiKCamaro5's Avatar
KaotiKCamaro5 KaotiKCamaro5 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,275
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to KaotiKCamaro5
Re: 92 Tracker Torque Converter No Lockup

had it reset several times already.. it just keeps coming on.. i cant stand it.. im about to just put some electrical tape over where the light is
__________________

"doing that is like trying to sell porn to a 6 year old..... It's just wrong" - hypsi87

LE123456712: i promise i will stop filling your email with my boobs
Kieft125: lol.. good, its starting to get rediculous..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-05-2005, 12:43 PM
dgee dgee is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 92 Tracker Torque Converter No Lockup

koatik can you get the code from the reader.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Geo > Tracker


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts