-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-29-2002, 11:08 PM
91Teg/99EX 91Teg/99EX is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 91Teg/99EX
Those with radar detectors...

Was wondering which unit is working good for ya people. I plan to get one soon since I'm under the constant fear of being harass by stanking pigs in my area. I heard good reviews about the BEL 980 and they go for around ebay for like 200. How well does those work.. and do they always work?

Thanks ya.
__________________
TO DO list...... add mods...

Done list........ Lighting
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-29-2002, 11:44 PM
kicker1_solo's Avatar
kicker1_solo kicker1_solo is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 15,780
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to kicker1_solo Send a message via Yahoo to kicker1_solo
http://www.radartest.com/
__________________
2000 BMW 323IT
1954 Ford F100
With every post my penis grows smaller

Yakima Valley Truck Club Yakima Washington
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-30-2002, 07:45 AM
nw h-town's Avatar
nw h-town nw h-town is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to nw h-town
I don't mean to sound like a cheap bastard but my girlfriend bought mine from CarToys for like $89. It's a Cobra and I know it's not one of the better radar detectors but I haven't got pulled over since I've hooked it up (knock on wood). It picks up laser and the "K" bands which is the only thing cops around here really use anyways, plus it does a whole butt-load of things that I don't even know about b/c I haven't read the manual yet I'm not really sure which model number it is but after using this one I wouldn't spend $200 on something I know I can get just as much use out of for under $100... just my opinion, though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-30-2002, 07:47 AM
nw h-town's Avatar
nw h-town nw h-town is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to nw h-town
OK... model number is ESD9000 by Cobra.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-30-2002, 10:32 AM
CXHatchback's Avatar
CXHatchback CXHatchback is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 567
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to CXHatchback Send a message via AIM to CXHatchback
Let's see, I always wanted one. Then my friend who had one told me to go 90 on the interstate with it in her car, she said it always works. I gain confidence, then slowly set the cruise to 103. Next thing I know, FHP's blue lights are flashing behind me.

I don't trust them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-30-2002, 11:57 AM
Bustamon's Avatar
Bustamon Bustamon is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 231
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You didn't get pulled for your detector not working properly. The thing most people don't know is that STATE TROOPERS are using new detectors called, "VASCAR" on the interstates. It's not radar and there is no way of detecting it because it is a computorized system that is motoring the time it takes you to get between two points and compares it with the time it would take if you were going the speed limit. So your detectors are useless against it!
-BUSTAMON-:grey:
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-30-2002, 12:43 PM
grrltoy grrltoy is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 423
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to grrltoy
I have a Cobra something or other. Can't remember the model #. It has K, Ka, X, W, and I think Y bands. It has a little clear thingy on the top for laser. It's good. Knock on wood.
__________________

"they sell us love as divinity when it's only a social obscenity"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-30-2002, 12:57 PM
91Teg/99EX 91Teg/99EX is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 91Teg/99EX
so.. a vote...

Yes.. go ahead and buy the radar detector to spot cops ahead of time.. or...
No.. since they dont work... as one claimed...

What would you do?
__________________
TO DO list...... add mods...

Done list........ Lighting
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-30-2002, 04:17 PM
sparq's Avatar
sparq sparq is offline
AF Premium User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,829
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sparq
Quote:
Originally posted by CXHatchback
Let's see, I always wanted one. Then my friend who had one told me to go 90 on the interstate with it in her car, she said it always works. I gain confidence, then slowly set the cruise to 103. Next thing I know, FHP's blue lights are flashing behind me.

I don't trust them.
Its a radar DETECTOR... not a radar PROTECTOR! A detector only tells you when cops are gunning you... and guess what? If it goes off? You got like 1-4 seconds depending on your speed to slow down before the cop gets a lock on your speed. They are a waste of money... just do the speed limit :finger:
__________________
AF's Official Asshole




RIP AUNIE
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-30-2002, 05:17 PM
GSteg's Avatar
GSteg GSteg is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,873
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to GSteg
Quote:
Originally posted by sparq
... just do the speed limit :finger:
yea.. please don't go over WAY over the limit because you are then risking other people's lives.
__________________
I love them sub wufers
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-30-2002, 05:19 PM
93speed's Avatar
93speed 93speed is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 881
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are traveling 100 MPH, you are going at a rate of 146.66 FEET per SECOND. Most all state laws say the officer must use their gun within 700 feet for an accurate measurment. If your radar detector goes off from 1/4 mile away (1320 Feet) you have 620 feet or less than 4 seconds to react and slow down 35 miles per hour without making it too obvious. If you slam on your brakes, the cop is gonna be suspicious right then.

That is the best scenario... If the cop is in the other lane, you have a lot less reaction time or if he hides and only hits you with his radar, you had no idea. Or VASCAR which can't be detected. And still theres the planes up in the air that will get you.

And what did we all learn here? No radar detector will allow you to go 100 without being caught sooner or later.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-31-2002, 07:42 AM
nw h-town's Avatar
nw h-town nw h-town is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to nw h-town
Quote:
Originally posted by grrltoy
I have a Cobra something or other. Can't remember the model #. It has K, Ka, X, W, and I think Y bands. It has a little clear thingy on the top for laser. It's good. Knock on wood.
Yep, sounds like the one I've got. And I guess it depends on where you drive. Here in Houston it's pretty easy to dodge the cops anyways just b/c there's so many other people driving along with you. But I like to have a "heads up" and know when they're there. So it's up to you whether to get one or not... 100 bucks is 100 bucks. I can think of plenty other things I could spens that $$ on.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-31-2002, 08:09 AM
igo4bmx's Avatar
igo4bmx igo4bmx is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,051
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
also just because they don't clock you they can claim you were "recklessly driving"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-31-2002, 09:54 AM
dslkicksass dslkicksass is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dslkicksass
Guys. No.No.No.No...By the time your detector goes off the cop already has your speed

The detector goes off when the beam hits your car, the beam travels faster than the speed of light so by the time you react (which is usually 1 - 2 seconds) your already caught. Invest the real money and get a radar jamar. There is a company in flordia that makes one that is so ssswweettt. It mounts under your front bumber and when the beam hits your car a buzzing noise goes off in your car, then you slow down to the speed limit and turn the jamar off so when he hits u again his gun reads the speed limit its the best thing out right now. Dont waist money on a detector cause the only thing a detector is gonna do is tell you the same thing the cop is gonna tell you; "you were speeding and your ass is CAUGHT"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-31-2002, 10:12 AM
PaulD's_revenge PaulD's_revenge is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dslkicksass
The detector goes off when the beam hits your car, the beam travels faster than the speed of light
looks like someone has been watching too much sci-fi channel :alien:

NOTHING we know of travels faster than the speed of light - even shows like star trek and B5 have to do a little trickery to achieve it.
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My radar detector doesn't detect laser at each time serge_saati Engineering/ Technical 6 07-14-2010 07:46 AM
For those of you who have laser/radar detectors. Mine any good? kahuna7 Camaro Discussions 6 12-26-2005 04:19 PM
Escort 8500 Radar Detector NO More Tickets WOW!!! customizerx Cars/Parts for Sale/Exchange 0 03-09-2001 03:06 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Car Audio


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts