-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-17-2005, 05:50 AM
builder77's Avatar
builder77 builder77 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 410
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Progress: RED 5 Jaguar R5

Okay so this will be a progress thread of the final stages of my RED 5 Jaguar kit.

To this point the kit has been a very fun build.
Only major points to consider if you buy this kit...
1. White metal needs a lot of work to get back into the correct shape after too much was thrown into one bag.
2. The separate engine cover, while a nice tough, makes for a ton of work to get it to fit and sit correctly.
3. As you will find with any resin kit, TEST FIT.
4. Something is wrong with my decals, either no glue or the glue is screwed up. The glue turns into tiny balls after the decal is wet.

The kit is great and the outcome so far has been beautiful!

Thanks to the RED 5 company for doing such unique kits!

Now on to the build.

1. This picture will be posted tonight.

2. This picture will be posted tonight.

3. This picture will be posted tonight.

4. This picture will be posted tonight.

5. This picture will be posted tonight.


The nose was painted with Tamiya X18 Semi Gloss Black before the carbon fiber decal was placed over it.

Another view of the entire body.




Everything laid out and ready for a test fit.




The air vents (if that's the right term) on both sides were airbrushed with Testors Aluminum and buffed with a q tip.


Drivers left side view.


An overall view with the decals on the drivers right side of the car.


Test fitting the seat in the body. I love that shot!

Enjoy

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-17-2005, 06:10 AM
RallyRaider's Avatar
RallyRaider RallyRaider is offline
Zomby Woof
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 8,871
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: In Progress: RED 5 Jaguar R5

Awesome to see this being built so well.
The F1 Jaguars may have been far from the quickest machines but they always looked the coolest.
What did you use for the green? Looks spot on.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-17-2005, 06:20 AM
builder77's Avatar
builder77 builder77 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 410
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: In Progress: RED 5 Jaguar R5

Thanks RallyRaider.
I used Finishers Jaguar Green.
Airbrushed on about 3 layers then wetsanded.
Layed down 4 more then 6 layers of clear over the period of a month.

More updates tonight.

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-17-2005, 06:21 AM
mickbench's Avatar
mickbench mickbench is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,676
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just thinking myself what he used for the green. Looks superb. What make of seatbelts are those as well?

The jaguar wasn't the fastest F1 car, but I agree it had a good look to it..

Nicely built so far, keep it up.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-17-2005, 06:46 AM
RallyRaider's Avatar
RallyRaider RallyRaider is offline
Zomby Woof
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 8,871
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: In Progress: RED 5 Jaguar R5

Figured it might have been Finisher's Jag Green. Nice to know they nailed that colour, and you in your application.
I was checking this kit out the other week and thought the decal sheet colours looked a bit washed out, but they look excelent applied.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-17-2005, 07:22 AM
builder77's Avatar
builder77 builder77 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 410
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: In Progress: RED 5 Jaguar R5

The seatbelts are the RED 5 belts.
I used epoxy to attach the metal parts and CA glue to make the belts hard after I got the look/position I wanted.
The CA glue was done after the belts had been painted and the photo etched parts attached.

The decals are washed out and as mentioned I had a TON of problems with them. I was heartbroken when they silvered on the right side.

I was able to get through some of the no glue problem with the following risky steps.

1. Decal placed and let dry
2. Using Tamiya liquid glue I touched the edge of the decal to "burn" the decal down and melt it to the body.
3. Let this set for about 1 minute
NOTE: DO NOT TOUCH IT BEFORE THE 1 MINUTE!

4. Use a soft brush and roll the brush over the decals to work out the wrinkles.

Very risky but it works.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-17-2005, 07:52 AM
RallyRaider's Avatar
RallyRaider RallyRaider is offline
Zomby Woof
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 8,871
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: In Progress: RED 5 Jaguar R5

Whenever I have the problem of decals that won't stick I simply use PVA white wood working glue, goes by the brand name of Aquahere in Australia. Just dab some where the decal is to go, water it down and work it around with a soft brush, apply the decal and everything as normal. Always worked without fail for me. Using liquid styrene glue sounds a bit too risky, but glad it worked for you.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-17-2005, 07:55 AM
mickbench's Avatar
mickbench mickbench is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,676
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woah..!! Surprised you didn’t melt the paintjob and leave a right mess. I’ve had decals with little or no glue before, and I’ve just applied the decal, added microset left for 24 hours and then cleared with X22. The clear if applied lightly and then built up sticks them down really well, but I think TS-13 would melt and curl them up.

Still looks to have worked, so kudo for attempting something so risky and getting away with it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-2005, 11:06 AM
gionc's Avatar
gionc gionc is offline
Authorized Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,911
Thanks: 6
Thanked 47 Times in 41 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to gionc
YOU LOVE RISK MAN!
don't seem yo had tose problem, so awesome
I agree: one of the coolest F1, that jaguar
__________________
gio
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Murray Kish Murray Kish is offline
Getting Old...
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 753
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: In Progress: RED 5 Jaguar R5

Loving these F1 cars more and more....

So much to build, so little time!!!!!

Nice job. Risky decal technique is right!!

Murray
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-17-2005, 11:18 AM
builder77's Avatar
builder77 builder77 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 410
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: In Progress: RED 5 Jaguar R5

mickbench, I used so much SET and SOL with a hairdryer, over night, with a patch to keep the decal wet with it for a long time, and nothing worked.
This after 6 layers of automotive clear, how much cleaner surface can you get for a decal?

The key is not to touch the decal AT ALL.

It was a very dumb idea to try that method on this kit so far along...but it worked so I'm happy.
By the way, I use this method on carbon fiber as well.
Like for the holes that allow the rear wing to be assembled. It just ensures the decal will not get pulled up in the test fit/build process. You could do the same thing with nail polish but like gionc said, "I love risk"

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-17-2005, 11:33 AM
cinqster's Avatar
cinqster cinqster is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 899
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Re: In Progress: RED 5 Jaguar R5

Nice build...couldn't agree more with the comments about the colour, absolutely spot on!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-17-2005, 03:29 PM
robrex's Avatar
robrex robrex is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,218
Thanks: 16
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to robrex
Re: In Progress: RED 5 Jaguar R5

I've been using Liquid cement on CF for years without problems...but never used it on a decal to help it settle on a painted model! I'm glad it worked without fault for you!
This model looks superb! Well done!
__________________
Rob

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Captain Mark's Avatar
Captain Mark Captain Mark is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 751
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Re: In Progress: RED 5 Jaguar R5

Excellent work so far! And the pictures you've taken are amazing.

I've been thinking of buying a set of these RedFive seatbelts also, they look great on your build.
Do you recommend them? Or have you had some troubles with them? And if you've used other brands of fabric seatbelts, how do they compare?

Have you started work on the suspension yet? The reason I ask is that the Studio27 kits tend to require quite a lot of attention at times to get everything straight and level, and I was wondering if the RedFive kits were the same.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-24-2005, 08:07 AM
builder77's Avatar
builder77 builder77 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 410
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: In Progress: RED 5 Jaguar R5

Captain Mark - Thanks for the post.
The seatbelts are very good, and I like the look better than than most of the others I have used.
However, there is not that much that seperates them from the others except the material used for the belts. Its like the athletic tape that is cloth but very sticky.

The suspension requires a ton of work to get right.
I did a test fit to bend the parts into place and make it sit right before the parts were painted and CF decals put on. I think when I put them on the car I may crack the decals on a few of them.

I'll let you know.

Chris
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts