-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee
Register FAQ Community
'88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee Partnership with: LadyNRedSi.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-26-2002, 05:47 PM
Thad Thad is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B16a in a 90 4wd civic

I am extremely interested in dropping a bigger engine into my 90 4wd civic wagon. I like to drive fast...not into drag racing, just rallying twisty roads, drifting corners. I ride snowboards & downhill bikes so am often driving up Mt Baker Hwy in 18" fresh pow pow. The car has great traction with the realtime 4WD, but is a bit gutless with 4 people, boards & gear. In the summer time, I shuttle bikes up the hill with it....often of fire roads & logging roads. It is fun to drive when I'm the only one in it... but is slowwwwww with 3/4 people & 50lb DH bikes. .

I daydream of turning this rig into a sleeper WRX type of car. Is it possible to drop a b16a engine in this car? I'd like to keep the stock tranny is poss....it's a 6 speed with a super low granny for offroading & ice & snow. All of the JDM import sites have the engines packaged with 5speed trannies.

I managed to drift the car into a ditch the 3rd day i had the car....d'oh. It has dents in the driverside door and the clearcoat is peeling on the hood(it's red). The car looks kind of like a mini-van....grampa mobile. It has stock 13" steel rims with michelins & a set of studded snows. As soon as I wear out the street tires, I'd like to get some lowkey looking 15" rims with more performance tires. Also, I'd like to put rear discs & swingarms out of an integra, swaybars, stiffer springs..shocks after I blow stock ones. I'd like to get those adjustable shocks...have it lowered in the summertime with the street tires, & lifted for more snow clearance with the studded tires. Eventually intake & exhaust system. And then maybe a paint job.

Am I crazy? Does this seem like a good idea?

Also any reccomendations on shops the do a good job on this hybrid engine stuff in the Seattle to Vancouver B.C. area.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-27-2002, 01:06 AM
Moppie's Avatar
Moppie Moppie is offline
Master Connector
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 11,781
Thanks: 95
Thanked 101 Times in 80 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Sadly the B16a will not fit onto your 4WD gearbox.

The bell houseing and input shafts are all wrong. Sorry.

But you could drop a D16z6 (SOHC VTEC) into it, or even Turbo your current engine.
The only problem is the rear diff in your car is notorisly weak, and if you plan to drive it at all quickly its more than likely to have a very short life.
__________________
Connecting the Auto Enthusiasts
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-05-2002, 10:21 PM
tenzoracerevovii tenzoracerevovii is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 659
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoa.....that's pretty crazy....i never knew they made a 4wd civic.....wat kind of motor did it have and wat kind of power figures?....where was this car produced too?......i never even knew honda made a 4wd car at all....
__________________
i have type-r stickers on my bike, will it go faster?
-me


Don't you know, it's 10 hp for every sticker, 50 hp extra for every additional inch of rear spoiler behond stock height.
-obiewancoyote
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-05-2002, 11:03 PM
GTA's Avatar
GTA GTA is offline
Whee..
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 5,494
Thanks: 18
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The 4wd wagon was made sometime in the 4th gen, it had the si engine, also had a 6 speed gearbox with a granny 1st gear.
__________________
AF Bay Area Crew
RIP Melt

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR
2007 Toyota Prius



I <3 and miss my 4g
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-05-2002, 11:07 PM
Moppie's Avatar
Moppie Moppie is offline
Master Connector
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 11,781
Thanks: 95
Thanked 101 Times in 80 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by tenzoracerevovii
i never even knew honda made a 4wd car at all....

Well Iv seen 4WD versions of the Civic, Shuttle, Accord, Orthia (like a small accord wagon) and the Odyssey.

All were Jap imports.
In Japan its quite common for manufators to make a 4WD version of most of thier cars, so they can try and catch the large number of Japanese who Ski, or live in regions where it snows in winter.
__________________
Connecting the Auto Enthusiasts
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-06-2002, 10:41 AM
marked001's Avatar
marked001 marked001 is offline
Moderadur
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 6,700
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to marked001
yup...I'd either go zc or sohc vtec... they'd both give you decent power...actually, I'd probably go w/ the zc for hillclimbing... dont know why...haha. I've seen one or two 4wd wagons on the boards w/ zc's...
__________________
SOLD!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-07-2002, 08:48 AM
sastanley's Avatar
sastanley sastanley is offline
AF Premium User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,906
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sastanley Send a message via Yahoo to sastanley
Yeah - I am with Jason...if you want power and torque (do any of our engines have torque?? ) I'd pick the ZC. Who needs VTEC when 4-wheelin' in the Civic? haha..
__________________
-Shawn
'91 Civic DX sedan
DOHC ZC, I,H,E, urethane bushings and mount inserts, rock chipped hood, some rust, stock steelies, nice comfy Integra seats, and the A/C works! What else could you want from an 18 year old car with 241,000 miles? Working on getting the Si tranny in now
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-2002, 08:13 AM
Setanta's Avatar
Setanta Setanta is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,765
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Setanta Send a message via AIM to Setanta Send a message via Yahoo to Setanta
I'm thinking a ZC should bolt up as it's a D-series engine over here.

Turbocharge that and away you go - make sure that you have a spare transfer case and driveshafts for it though - they are weak as non-alcoholic piss.

Actually, the Honda official history site lists the 4 door sedan as being AWD, but I have a feeling that it's a glitch in babelfish.
__________________
'99 PY DC2R
'85 BBS BMW E30
RIP '90 JDM EF9 Civic SiR


www.performanceforums.com
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts