-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance
Register FAQ Community
Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-15-2005, 10:46 PM
devster18 devster18 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5.0 questions

I'm planning on buying a '90 5.0 this spring for drag racing. I want a manual, but it seems to be mostly autos on the market. Sorry for the stupid questions.

Whats the 1/4 mile times for an auto? I heard the manual runs high 14s stock? Also what would be the best way to launch an automatic 5.0?

Right now i'm racing a Lexus SC300, but I need something a bit faster with more potential. I almost got beat by a Saturn VUE the other night!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2005, 02:23 PM
quick5pnt0 quick5pnt0 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally wouldnt recommend an automatic if you plan on doing any type of racing. I've owned a fox body with an automatic and compared to the 5 speed it was a dog. The automatics tend to run in the high 15's when totally stock. Dont get me wrong, i've seen a few AOD cars run good times, but thats with alot of work and tall gears.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2005, 05:36 PM
giddyup50 giddyup50 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 616
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it is going to be a serious drag car go with the auto you will be more consistant and consistantcy wins at the track. If it's going to be a street/strip car there is nothing better and more fun than a 5.0 with a 5spd. The only thing I hate about 90's 5.0's w/ 5spd. is trying to drive w/ a drink and food. I know, the space between the parking brake and pass. seat is a good cupholder (just don't hit the brakes hard or you'll be cleaning up that mess). I'd go stick, nothing better.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2005, 01:13 AM
SkylineUSA's Avatar
SkylineUSA SkylineUSA is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,895
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA
Re: 5.0 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup50
If it is going to be a serious drag car go with the auto you will be more consistant and consistantcy wins at the track. If it's going to be a street/strip car there is nothing better and more fun than a 5.0 with a 5spd. The only thing I hate about 90's 5.0's w/ 5spd. is trying to drive w/ a drink and food. I know, the space between the parking brake and pass. seat is a good cupholder (just don't hit the brakes hard or you'll be cleaning up that mess). I'd go stick, nothing better.
Yep!

What kind of times you lookin at? Anything in the 10 or less range, the Auto will be a big plus. I am going auto for this same reason.
__________________

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-04-2005, 09:07 AM
dsum14 dsum14 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: 5.0 questions

I agree with giddy. Nobody can shift faster than an automatic tranny. You will have a lot better luck at the track with an auto if you are an inexperienced driver. I love my 5 spd and wouldn't have it any other way. A Manual is the way to go if you want to have fun while driving.
D
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts