-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-06-2005, 10:18 AM
pete44 pete44 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question check engine light

Have a '94 Cherokee Sport.(I6-4.0).Recently changed oil (5W30) and replaced temp sensor..(other was intermitten)..Now get a check engine light (but not right away)..After I let it sit awhile and restart it light goes away then returns a few minutes later while driving ...I did break my temp sensor when I installed it..Is broken temp sensor causing light to come on or maybe viscousity of oil I am using.(I noticed on old oil change sticker on window had 20W50 on it????..(I plan on taking it to auto zone to let them run a free diag check on it when light comes on again to check codes....Thanks for any help, Pete44
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-07-2005, 08:27 AM
ESeven ESeven is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off the type of oil you used isnt going to put a trouble code in the computer.

One thing that always made me laugh was how they put to use 5w 30 or 10 w 30 on a oil cap or in a manual. Oil depends on how many miles you have on the car.

5w 30 is more of a break in oil. Or how I would explain it. run it till about 30,000 miles

10w 30 till about 80,000
10w 40 till about 150,000
20w 50 for the rest.

If you run it ruff like 4 wheelin then you can run 20w 50 the entire time.

Now as for the broken sensor. Yes you could of broken it but most likely not. What you are seeing is most likely the fact you have put a new sensor in.

The code was probly there but not kicking the light on. What you need is to reset the codes and see if it happens again and if it does then read the codes and go from there.

Chilton has a nice little code manual you can get at your local parts store for about 10$ and it expalins how to retrive and reset the codes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Dale Aeppli Dale Aeppli is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 864
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete44
Have a '94 Cherokee Sport.(I6-4.0).Recently changed oil (5W30) and replaced temp sensor..(other was intermitten)..Now get a check engine light (but not right away)..After I let it sit awhile and restart it light goes away then returns a few minutes later while driving ...I did break my temp sensor when I installed it..Is broken temp sensor causing light to come on or maybe viscousity of oil I am using.(I noticed on old oil change sticker on window had 20W50 on it????..(I plan on taking it to auto zone to let them run a free diag check on it when light comes on again to check codes....Thanks for any help, Pete44

The temperature sending unit can cause your engine to trip on. Dale
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts