-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-29-2005, 08:08 PM
reynold1 reynold1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ford Taurus Speed Sensors

I have had the nightmare of replacing speed sensors on a 1993 Ford Taurus and a 1997 Ford Taurus. The 1993 had 128000 miles and the 1997 had 70000 miles. Having been a back yard mechanic for many years and rebuilding antique cars it was very frustrating to see this type of system created for a car. The interesting thing was that the shop I took the 1997 to stated that the car will go into "limp mode" when the sensor goes bad. I am just waiting for the first law suit against Ford for someone hurt when they are not able to drive from a dangerous situation because of a sensor in "limp mode".
In addition to the 1997 sensor failing, I was selling it to a woman who said her brother designed the car. Think of the fun conversation I had with the woman when I had to explain that her brother designed a peice of crap...

Enough of my rant. This forum has been very helpful so I will pass on my knowledge. The 1993 speed sensor is located on the top of the transmission. The way I got to it was to put a towel and blanket on top of the engine a lay on the engine/cold with my head towards the windshield so that I could reach in back of the engine. After bending couple of clips out of the way you can reach the sensor bolt with a 10mm socket and short extension. unbolt it and the speed cable from the engine block. Carefully pull the sensor/unplug and unclip-I suggest you pick up the part first so you can see the connections-I paid $18-. Carefully put the sensor back in-I suggest you use disposable gloves and change them so that when you handle the new sensor you do not get dirt/oil on the sensor-also you will need to re-use the gear off the old sensor on the new one-remove the clip and re-attach to new sensor.

On the 1997 I remember the sensor to be located towards the rear of the engine compartment on the passenger side as you face the front of the car.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts