-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-20-2005, 06:47 PM
maja maja is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Removing Cooling Fan Assembly

Hi everybody. This is a great site.

I'm a novice DIYer with a 95 Honda Passport 3.2 L 4WD. I'm changing out my water pump so I need to remove the cooling fan.

What is the best way to keep the fan assembly from turning while you loosen the 4 nuts that hold it to the mount? Is a special tool required?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Cat Fuzz Cat Fuzz is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,947
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
You should be able to hold the pulley with your hand and loosen them one by one. Take the fan shroud loose first and remove the fan and shroud together. Also gives better access to the fan nuts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-2005, 12:04 PM
maja maja is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Removing Cooling Fan Assembly

Thanks for the response.

It sounds like the nuts are not supposed to be as tight as they are. They must have seized up.

I have loosened the fan shroud, but I can't figure out how to remove the fan without removing those 4 nuts from the mount first. How would I do that?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-27-2005, 09:01 AM
Fluvannahoo Fluvannahoo is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am having the same problem with a 2002 Rodeo with a failed fan clutch. When I look at the fan running from the front of the vehicle it is turning counter clockwise so I assume the studs that hold the assembly to the waterpump are left hand. To remove the nuts they must be turned clockwise, right? I hav used considerable force and plenty of liquid wrench and they don't budge. Also I am not certain of the size. 7/16 is too small, 1/2 too large. M12 seems just a little loose but does grip.
Also there is a TSb (IN02-01-S003) that addresses this for this model year but one has to pay $24.95 to view on line.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Canucklehead Canucklehead is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 492
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to Canucklehead
Re: Removing Cooling Fan Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluvannahoo
When I look at the fan running from the front of the vehicle it is turning counter clockwise so I assume the studs that hold the assembly to the waterpump are left hand. To remove the nuts they must be turned clockwise, right?
NO!!! The nuts are not left hand threaded. Did you try loosening them the conventional "lefty loosey" way first or did you just start wrenching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluvannahoo
Also I am not certain of the size. 7/16 is too small, 1/2 too large. M12 seems just a little loose but does grip.
Those nuts should be metric, 12mm IIRC even though it did seem a bit loose for me as well.

One tip. When you get the nuts off the old fan clutch it may have to be "pried" off the pulley (at least mine did). You may need to wedge the assembly away from the face of the pulley then jog the engine and continue all the way around the fan clutch. I had to keep something wedged between the fan clutch and the oulley to prevent it from just rocking back and forth on the pulley instead of actually coming loose.
__________________
2000 VW New Beetle TDI
2007 Honda CR-V
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Fluvannahoo Fluvannahoo is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Removing Cooling Fan Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucklehead
NO!!! The nuts are not left hand threaded. Did you try loosening them the conventional "lefty loosey" way first or did you just start wrenching?
I appled pressure both ways but they don't budge. The nuts are 12mm, correct? My 12mm is short and doesn't apply much leverage and the breaker bar doesn't fit between the clutch and the nuts. Thanks for clarifying the thread, any suggestions? To clarify, the fan itself rotates in that direction (counterclockwise when viewed from the front) and the nuts are removed by turning them in that direction too?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Canucklehead Canucklehead is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 492
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to Canucklehead
Re: Re: Re: Removing Cooling Fan Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluvannahoo
I appled pressure both ways but they don't budge. The nuts are 12mm, correct? My 12mm is short and doesn't apply much leverage and the breaker bar doesn't fit between the clutch and the nuts. Thanks for clarifying the thread, any suggestions? To clarify, the fan itself rotates in that direction (counterclockwise when viewed from the front) and the nuts are removed by turning them in that direction too?
Are you sure your fan rotates counter-clockwise?

I just went and checked mine and it rotates clockwise when viewd from the front. I also loosened one of the nuts using a 12mm wrench by turning it "lefty loosey" as also viewed from the front.
__________________
2000 VW New Beetle TDI
2007 Honda CR-V
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Fluvannahoo Fluvannahoo is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Removing Cooling Fan Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucklehead
Are you sure your fan rotates counter-clockwise?

I just went and checked mine and it rotates clockwise when viewd from the front. I also loosened one of the nuts using a 12mm wrench by turning it "lefty loosey" as also viewed from the front.
Must have changed for the 2002 model year or earlier? I noticed the parts ran from the 98 to 02 Aug. then changed in 02 Sept. but the fan definitely spins counter clockwise (from right to left) and the blades are pitched in that direction. This is why I assumed that the studs were LH thread. I called the nearest service dept. yesterday to try to get a definitve answer but the put me on hold indefinitely and I finally hung up.
It soinds like you are able to remove the nuts holding yours without any special tools or undue pressure. There is 95k on the odometer fir what that's worth.
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Canucklehead Canucklehead is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 492
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to Canucklehead
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Removing Cooling Fan Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluvannahoo
It soinds like you are able to remove the nuts holding yours without any special tools or undue pressure. There is 95k on the odometer fir what that's worth.
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.
I have 150K on my Rodeo and just changed the fan clutch last month. Even then it wasn't that difficult to remove the nuts.
__________________
2000 VW New Beetle TDI
2007 Honda CR-V
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts