-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-18-2005, 05:17 PM
disturbed_evolutio disturbed_evolutio is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smoother Idle Wanted ... and less lights

Hi. I have a couple issues with my fathers 95 Gran Prix and wanted to see if anyone here had some ideas or suggestions.

Heres the info I know about the vehicle.
1995 Pontiac Gran Prix
about 135,000 miles
I think its the 3.1 V6 but not sure. If someone can translate the VIN I can tell that way.

The problems we're having might be related, I'm not sure. First, I just replaced the EGR valve. When doing so I noticed that it was caked up with muddy/oiling looking goo. Foamy but kinda yellowish brown in color. I cleaned it before and it seems to have returned, but alot less this time. We had the codes taken from it. As I recall we got a EGR fault (thus the change, even thought the pintles seem to move fine) and IAC. I haven't check the IAC yet but the car does idle very grimly. It almost sounds like its going to cut off. His SES light comes on pretty regularly when exiting out of high speed driving (highways) and it kinda hiccups during acceleration to highway speeds.

Unrelated or maybe releated, the low coolant light has been kicking in even though its full. My inital guess is that its just the sensor. But maybe its more...something related to that yellow junk I found in the EGR port.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-19-2005, 03:29 AM
memememe99 memememe99 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Smoother Idle Wanted ... and less lights

hey man i have a 96 suffering from the same problems only little worse.our egr went out awhile ago.but i posted cause the coolant light.is it low?ours was loosing coolant just very slowly.found a tiny hole right side of lower hose in radiator.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2005, 09:40 AM
richtazz's Avatar
richtazz richtazz is offline
stupidity should hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,129
Thanks: 2
Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Re: Smoother Idle Wanted ... and less lights

you both have an intake gasket leak, common problem on these cars. The failure rate on GM 3100 factory intake gaskets is something that should have involved a recall, but GM has really good lawyers. Get it taken care of soon, before the coolant gets in the oil and washes out the lower end, or the coolant gets too low, and blows the head gaskets. Also, get me the last 8 of your VIN and I can decipher it for you.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-19-2005, 10:29 PM
disturbed_evolutio disturbed_evolutio is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Smoother Idle Wanted ... and less lights

Yeah I see its a 3100. Thing is, his doesn't lose coolant...at all. Didn't see any foaming in the oil or any oil in the coolant expansion tank.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking into it.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts