-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-16-2005, 10:53 AM
Tommy611 Tommy611 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Low Battery Gauge

I have a 1999 Bonneville SLE, when I use the a/c when driving the battery gauge is good around 12-13 volts. When I stop at a sign or a light the gague drops to the red 9-10 volts. I just changed the battery thinking it was that, but it still does it. My next thought was the alternator. Does anyone know if this is just normal for the car or should I be worried? I don't remember having this problem with my other Bonn's. Thanks, Tom
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-17-2005, 07:57 PM
markwb's Avatar
markwb markwb is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 187
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Low Battery Gauge

Tom, it doesn't sound normal. Granted, when you're at idle alternator voltage output may decrease a little, but it shouldn't fall on its face. Try turning off some electrical loads ie A/C, radio etc and see how the volt meter responds.
__________________
Mark
2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, 1999 Ford Escort SE, 5 Speed
IBEW Local 261 Groton, CT
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-12-2005, 08:34 PM
bonneville99 bonneville99 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 99 Bonneville doing the same thing only I changed the alternator and have the same problem. I can make mine do it. turn the air conditioner on blower on low, lights on. Shutoff the compressor and I see a 1.0 2.0 volt voltage drop in a about 5 secs it will recover. It was bad enought this morning it caused the low voltage dinger to go off. The battery test good. My question is can the computer decide to turn off the alternator based on some inputs from other sensors on this model. I also notice that it takes close to 10-18 secs before the alternator is putting out 14.00 volts after I start he car. Anyone have any ideas. P.S. when the voltage dops the alternator output at the alternator stud is about 6 amps.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts