Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Envoy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
tyler_h
AF Newbie

05 Envoy Denali sluggish from stop

Hi,
I have an 05 Envoy Denali XL that I have had for about 1 month. It seems to have really great power/acceleration while moving, but from a dead stop it seems to be pretty sluggish. If I floor it, or come close even, it just gradually accelerates until about 25mph or so and then it really takes off. It almost feels like my F150 does when I pull a 1500lb trailer and accelerate quickly. There just isn't any real snap if you push the gas down. I am normally a pretty easy driver, but at times when you need that quick acceleration to make a left hand turn, you'd like the car to respond quickly. I thought about buying a performance programmer from Hypertech or Superchips ( assuming they make one ) to see if that would help. Any thoughts on this? Is this the way all Envoy's with the 5.3L behave? I haven't tried turning the traction control off and trying it, but being that there is no wheelspin ( or anywhere close ) I didn't think that would matter.

Thanks, Tyler
tyler_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
waydre
AF Newbie

Re: 05 Envoy Denali sluggish from stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_h
Hi,
I have an 05 Envoy Denali XL that I have had for about 1 month. It seems to have really great power/acceleration while moving, but from a dead stop it seems to be pretty sluggish. If I floor it, or come close even, it just gradually accelerates until about 25mph or so and then it really takes off. It almost feels like my F150 does when I pull a 1500lb trailer and accelerate quickly. There just isn't any real snap if you push the gas down. I am normally a pretty easy driver, but at times when you need that quick acceleration to make a left hand turn, you'd like the car to respond quickly. I thought about buying a performance programmer from Hypertech or Superchips ( assuming they make one ) to see if that would help. Any thoughts on this? Is this the way all Envoy's with the 5.3L behave? I haven't tried turning the traction control off and trying it, but being that there is no wheelspin ( or anywhere close ) I didn't think that would matter.

Thanks, Tyler
Well mine is an 04 SLE model with the 4.2L that I bought brand new and that was one of the first things I noticed that I didn't really like.
If I want to take off fast it doesn't really move quickly until it gets up to a certain speed and then it suddenly takes off like a bat out of ____.
I figured that was just the way the 4.2L performed but I didn't think the 5.3L would perform the same way.
I guess they're all the same.
waydre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
Chriznat20@msn.com
AF Regular

Me and a friend were talking about this, he has a 2005 Envoy SLT and I have a 2002 Envoy SLT.

It appears that somewheres around 2004-ish, GMC installed a new program for the trans and engine which affected performance "off the line". My friend complained, complained, complained, finally made it up to corporate (well he was preparing for a buy-back), and thats what corporate told him. The 4.2l I6's and 4L60E setups were given different gear ratios and fuel/air mixtures and such. They did not tell him the reasoning behind this but it is a big complaint! you're not alone.

2005 Saturn L300
V6, Chrome rims, Moonroof
44,000 miles
Chriznat20@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
waydre
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriznat20@msn.com
Me and a friend were talking about this, he has a 2005 Envoy SLT and I have a 2002 Envoy SLT.

It appears that somewheres around 2004-ish, GMC installed a new program for the trans and engine which affected performance "off the line". My friend complained, complained, complained, finally made it up to corporate (well he was preparing for a buy-back), and thats what corporate told him. The 4.2l I6's and 4L60E setups were given different gear ratios and fuel/air mixtures and such. They did not tell him the reasoning behind this but it is a big complaint! you're not alone.
So your 2002 Envoy does not have that sluggish take off?
waydre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
Envoy Fan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_h
Hi,

Thanks, Tyler
Your Envoy Denali most likely has the DOD function. Perhaps the computer is not sending correct info to engine.
My '03 4.2L was sluggish, due to torque management built into the computer. Wouldn't really open up until hit 3000 rpms. My '05 5.3L is better, but could still use some help at low end. I believe it also has torque management built in. Can't break the rear tires loose, GM thinks for our "protection".
Bill
Envoy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:49 AM   #6
ScarabEpic22
AF Regular

One comment, Westers tune. Supposed to be better off the line, lower torque management, and overall a better performer.

I really want one, but dont have the $500 to spend.

Check it out:
http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/scprice.htm

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4X4 -Summit White w/Oak interior
Many Mods, latest: EFILive tuned by (me)
ScarabEpic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:52 PM   #7
Chriznat20@msn.com
AF Regular

"So your 2002 Envoy does not have that sluggish take off?"

My 02 takes off the line like a raped ape compared to an 05 ! I cant believe how sluggish the new ones are. Hey Ive got an idea - trade me your 05 for my 02...lol

2005 Saturn L300
V6, Chrome rims, Moonroof
44,000 miles
Chriznat20@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:17 PM   #8
tyler_h
AF Newbie

Here's a quick update. Now that my wife's Envoy has 1500 miles on it, it seems much better. At around 1000 miles on the Odometer, the throttle response seemed to change for the better. Crisper response all around the rpm range. Yes, it does have the DOD engine. I wonder if from the factory it is programmed like this (rich/retarded/whatever)to ease with engine break in or something. Anyways, everything seems fine now, and since I only drive her envoy about 1-2 times every 2 weeks, I am pretty sure its not me just getting used to it.

Thanks
tyler_h is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Envoy