-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-08-2005, 09:29 PM
MrCheapGuy's Avatar
MrCheapGuy MrCheapGuy is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
92 GTP...Calibrating Compass?!?

I bought a 92 GTP and the darn console thing keeps beeping and telling me to calibrate the compass. The owners manual was not in the car and the beeping is annoying to say the least. I tried hitting the CAL button but it does nothing and when I hit any other button it says "MISS OP". Could someone help me out here as I have tried everything.
Thanks in advance.
MrCheapGuy
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2005, 09:14 AM
troy1 troy1 is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 92 GTP...Calibrating Compass?!?

dont you have to hit the button and then drive in a circle????
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-10-2005, 08:57 PM
MrCheapGuy's Avatar
MrCheapGuy MrCheapGuy is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As corny as that sounds...I will try it!! Will post results soon.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-2005, 08:02 AM
wylie's Avatar
wylie wylie is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 507
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: 92 GTP...Calibrating Compass?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy1
dont you have to hit the button and then drive in a circle????
it also will be more accurate if you do it on a smooth surface.

A compass is something I though I would never use now it something I miss on my 99 and sure enough If been lost once with out it.
.
.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-11-2005, 01:51 PM
MrCheapGuy's Avatar
MrCheapGuy MrCheapGuy is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It just started telling me to change the oil...will it detect that I changed the oil and correct itself or do I have to do something to reset it??
Thanks again all!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-11-2005, 02:03 PM
wylie's Avatar
wylie wylie is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 507
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 92 GTP...Calibrating Compass?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCheapGuy
It just started telling me to change the oil...will it detect that I changed the oil and correct itself or do I have to do something to reset it??
Thanks again all!!
You do have to reset it, its just a counter and it been a while I don't even remember what it looks like but I think its pretty strait forward.
.
.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-11-2005, 02:06 PM
BigBL87's Avatar
BigBL87 BigBL87 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to BigBL87 Send a message via MSN to BigBL87 Send a message via Yahoo to BigBL87
Re: 92 GTP...Calibrating Compass?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCheapGuy
It just started telling me to change the oil...will it detect that I changed the oil and correct itself or do I have to do something to reset it??
Thanks again all!!
After you change the oil, put the key in the ignition and turn it so all the gauges and the radio turn on, but don't start the engine. Pump the gas 3 times (within 5 seconds) and the light should blink and turn off, and then it'll be reset.

At least thats how it is on mine, but I just realized mine is a newer body style than yours, so if all else fails try what i said, but id try what other people say first.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-11-2005, 02:08 PM
wylie's Avatar
wylie wylie is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 507
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey cheapguy: I just noticed your up here in The Great White North.
A 92? wow what kinda shape is it in it must be a rust bucket.
I had a 95 and there wasn't much body left on it but mechanically it ran OK.
.
.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-12-2005, 05:46 PM
MrCheapGuy's Avatar
MrCheapGuy MrCheapGuy is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 92 GTP...Calibrating Compass?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylie
Hey cheapguy: I just noticed your up here in The Great White North.
A 92? wow what kinda shape is it in it must be a rust bucket.
I had a 95 and there wasn't much body left on it but mechanically it ran OK.
.
.
Who you callin a rust bucket?!?! My 92 is in GREAT shape. The guy who had it before me did not drive it in winter and when he bought a new truck his wife bugged him for a year to sell it because it was taking up the space she could have in the garage. So I have it now...it needed pads, rotors and rear calipers (from sitting so long) but other than that it flew thru the safety. I done the work myself so I save a WHACK of money. The valence under the front bumper was broke when I got it...it is in being fixed and painted (looks weird without it) but at least I have a car to drive. My old car was a 93 Cavalier...what a POS. No rockers left...struts gone...tie rods gone...etc. I gave it to the junk yard after I took the starter and alternator for my GTP...just in case.

Oh yeah...driving in circle did in fact calibrate the compass...thanks a bunch!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-13-2005, 07:57 AM
wylie's Avatar
wylie wylie is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 507
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: 92 GTP...Calibrating Compass?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCheapGuy
Who you callin a rust bucket?!?! My 92 is in GREAT shape. The guy who had it before me did not drive it in winter and when he bought a new truck his wife bugged him for a year to sell it because it was taking up the space she could have in the garage. So I have it now...it needed pads, rotors and rear calipers (from sitting so long) but other than that it flew thru the safety. I done the work myself so I save a WHACK of money. The valence under the front bumper was broke when I got it...it is in being fixed and painted (looks weird without it) but at least I have a car to drive. My old car was a 93 Cavalier...what a POS. No rockers left...struts gone...tie rods gone...etc. I gave it to the junk yard after I took the starter and alternator for my GTP...just in case.

Oh yeah...driving in circle did in fact calibrate the compass...thanks a bunch!!
Cool, welcome to the form theres a great bunch here you'll find it to be a good resource. my 95 was a great car thats how I ended up with another GP.
The 95 I had was pretty rusty and was fully load in the end it started getting one electrical problem after another and wasn't worth fixing any more so I had to put it down,
even though the motor and tranny where still running fine.
Sounds like you made a lucky find good luck with it.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts