-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-03-2005, 08:51 AM
nymorey nymorey is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 117
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to nymorey
94 Lumina Z34 Master brake Cylinder Replacement

My brake pedal is soft and sinks almost to the floor. I was going to replace the Master Cylinder but the haynes manual says if the car has ABS, Which mine does, then a factory tech has to seperate the ABS unit and the master cylinder because of the precision gears.

Am I stuck bringing it to the dealer?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-2005, 09:47 AM
RollinonZ34 RollinonZ34 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 94 Lumina Z34 Master brake Cylinder Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymorey
My brake pedal is soft and sinks almost to the floor. I was going to replace the Master Cylinder but the haynes manual says if the car has ABS, Which mine does, then a factory tech has to seperate the ABS unit and the master cylinder because of the precision gears.

Am I stuck bringing it to the dealer?

Have you 1st checked the Vacuume hose going from the Master C. to the back of the Plentum-Rear Valve cover area? These hoses get soft and spongy, and colapse when they get old...giving the results that you are describing. I have the same car and mine needed replaced badly, even tho i did not even see it until i had to remove the Plentum...it is kind of hidden in the back...Hope this helps and is a Cheap Fix.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-2005, 08:39 PM
nymorey nymorey is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 117
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to nymorey
Re: Re: 94 Lumina Z34 Master brake Cylinder Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinonZ34
Have you 1st checked the Vacuume hose going from the Master C. to the back of the Plentum-Rear Valve cover area? These hoses get soft and spongy, and colapse when they get old...giving the results that you are describing. I have the same car and mine needed replaced badly, even tho i did not even see it until i had to remove the Plentum...it is kind of hidden in the back...Hope this helps and is a Cheap Fix.
Yes I did check the hose. I also checked the vacuum boost and it is holding pressure just fine. I'm pretty sure it is the seals in the master. I plan of bleeding everything one more time.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2005, 12:36 AM
tblake's Avatar
tblake tblake is offline
In God We Trust
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,971
Thanks: 4
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Send a message via MSN to tblake
Re: 94 Lumina Z34 Master brake Cylinder Replacement

hey man, I would go to the parts store and ask to take a look at a master cylinder. It might come with the abs stuff. You never know. however I've never heard of this before. I myself would take a stab at it, what the hell. Rip all the abs stuff and master cyling off in one piece, bring it inside the house, clean it up a little, and seperate it on a table or workbench in the light very slowly. Buy a hays repair manual or something and read up on it. whats the worse that could happen? You have to drive it to the dealer without abs? no big deal. Although I could be wrong, and dont want to be responsible if something happens to you if your brakes go out, so disclaimer: the writer of this post cannot be held responsable if there are any accidents caused by false information posted here. he he he, take that! Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-04-2005, 08:05 AM
nymorey nymorey is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 117
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to nymorey
Re: Re: 94 Lumina Z34 Master brake Cylinder Replacement

I did look at it at the store and i asked if I could buy it assembled. I'm going to check the dealer next. I might give it a try after a little more research. I need to find out it this thing just affects the abs or the braking system proper.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts