|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
87 stalling when i come to a stop
i have a 87ss that i put a 350 .30 over with a mild cam and i put all the emissions equ. back on engine so it still looks like the 305 ho.. i put in new radiator,fuel pump,water pump,hoses etc.. the motor has like 1100 miles on it now the tranny is origional 100k+ on it.. heres the question when i get off the freeway or slow down from higer speeds the engine will tend to shut off when i come to a complete stop, then it will start right back up again.. it just started like 100 miles ago... any feed back would be appreciated....thanx
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 87 stalling when i come to a stop
if you still have the overdrive it could be the converter locking up and causing a stall.it use to happen to me with a tpi malibu i had.seems to happen when trans is to hot.???????
|
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 87 stalling when i come to a stop
yeah, I still have the th200r4 tranny in it.. what can be done to avoid it happening is it o.k. to drive?
|
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
I heard that you can unplug the wires that go to the transmission and see if it still happens. Often it is a solenoid.
Check this out...---->>>> http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_Solenoid.html |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 87 stalling when i come to a stop
thank you frank im try that in a week or so.. i read the link you provided and it hit the nail on the head. thanx alot...
|
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
You're welcome.
|
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
I just replaced the solenoid in my tranny tonight (my car has done the same thing for 10 years) and it seems to work fine now. I bought the transmission solenoid at advance auto for 32 bucks. I thought it was the tourqe convertor but this solenoid solved the problem, woo hoo.
|
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
I haven't done mine yet, the car is currently unregistered. I thought my transmission was toast, but I did some searching and found that article.
Was the solenoid that you got at Advance the universal type that you have to splice the wires together? I priced it at the dealer, and I think it lists at about $60. I was going to sell this car when I thought it needed a transmission but now I have decided to keep it as a "project" car. |
|
#9
|
|||
|
|||
|
It was the GP Sorensen TSS 13. It has butt conectors on the new solenoid. Just cut the wires on the old solenoid and splice it together and install. I was going to sell my monte too because I thought it was the tourque convertor but thanks to this great forum I am keeping mine also.
|
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 87 stalling when i come to a stop
just returned from out of town ill probaly get that in this week..hopefully
|
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 87 stalling when i come to a stop
i think i might a have similar problem...it seems that my tranny doesnt want to lock up, i have no idea what who did to my car before hand though. im going to put a new trans filter/fluid in it sometime soon, and a tranny cooler, but wondered, who else's car runs at 3000rpm going 60-65? that to me seems a little high, especially with .80 overdrive...any help would be great!!! it could be a different rear gear too..not sure though
__________________
"haze grey and under way!!!" 99 honda odyssey 99 grand prix gt possibly a g8 gt when i get to cali |
|
#12
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 87 stalling when i come to a stop
2004r's are a .67od. rpm's sounds several hundred high. mark your driveshaft with a piece of chalk and spin your tire 10 times. count the driveshaft revolutions. then divide by the 10 rotations. maybe you have 4.10's?
|
|
#13
|
|||
|
|||
|
hello i'm having the same problem with my 1987 monte that i'm restoring in which when i get off of highways or after driving for a while then entering stop and go traffic it starts to go close to a stall ot stalls. i was originally thinkning it was due to the fact that i need to get the pison seals replaced to maintain pressure but after reading this i'm very confussed about it
. please help
|
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 87 stalling when i come to a stop
ttt
|
|
#15
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 87 stalling when i come to a stop
The times I have ran into this and it was due to the torque convertor not unlocking the car would always buck just like a manual trans car would if you came to a stop while in gear and didnt depress the clutch pedal. If its not doing that then it isnt related to the trans or convertor.. atleast thats my bet
I would say it has more to do with a high float level and the engine flooding out for a second while deaccelerating or the EGR valve sticking open |
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|